Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsieminski_gw

How do I get rid of a clump of bananas?

rsieminski
15 years ago

Not to offend, I love bananas. I just have too many vars, and need some to go away forever. I'm keeping only my 2 favorite vars. These are big corms, some 10-12' in diameter. Is there a way that I can kill the corm without digging it up?

Thanks,

--Rick

Comments (5)

• paty99
    15 years ago

Don't kill it, dig it up and send it to me!! :-) I'd be happy to pay postage for it/them. Let me know. patknln@yahoo.com
    Pat

• rsieminski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"These are big corms, some 10-12' in diameter"
    The larger corms probably weigh 3-400 lbs. Shipping would be expensive. The smaller mats are maybe 7' around. The corms may only weigh 2-300 lbs. Shipping might be a little cheaper.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Cut the trunks, heavily spray the stumps with Round-up Concentrated Poison Ivy and BRUSH killer while the stumps are still "bleeding". If they start sprouting green pups, spray them. It will only take a couple of applications to kill them.

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

I need to get rid of some too! I just can't keep up with all of them and am sick of the iguanas eating all the fruit. :( I cut them down once or twice before but they just popped up from the middle again. I think I'll give the round-up PI & B a try and maybe cover them with some black plastic secured with bricks just to be safe. Thanks for the tip about the PI & B

• don_brown
    15 years ago

This is one of those times when you just do not need all those toxic chemicals in the commercial insecticides. Dig down to the corm.....hack at it a bit with an axe, and pour a gallon of ordinary household white vinegar on the thing. Vinegar is toxic to all plants, but it is not going to harm you, your pets or wildlife. It will smell like a pickle for a week, and that may repel the family pets, but otherwise it is death on the banana and no toxic side effects!