Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
captgene

Banana BAN .Is it a plant or tree ???

captgene
16 years ago

Hi All

I need unbias opinions both Pro & Con on the below "Final Decision". Please read my question below this statement.

"The ARC committee held our December meeting on the 19th rather than the 26th due to the holidays. We received 10 applications of which 8 were approved as submitted.

At the last Master Board meeting, a discussion took place regarding the issue of fruit trees. The ARC committee felt that fruit trees should not be allowed for many different reasons such as but not limited to:

1. Rodent issues that we have in the community

2. Fruit trees attract bugs, bees, and disease.

3. Issue of trees that in the future may not be maintained, fruit falling on the ground causing more of the issues above along with odors.

The Master Board decision was that they would be allowed since there was a vote 5-2 to allow fruit trees. The Master Board asked that the ARC to meet and decide on a number (based on lot size) of what would be allowed.

The ARC's final decision is that for smaller lots (40-60 x 120) up to 1 fruit bearing tree and 2 fruit bearing bushes would be allowed in the rear of the home. For larger lots (80-120 x 120+) up to 2 fruit bearing trees and 4 fruit bearing bushes would be allowed in the rear of the home. ARC will not approve any banana trees due to the aesthetic look and because they multiply. Other non fruit bearing trees and bushes could be added in addition to the fruit bearing trees/bushes. As with any improvements, any

change must be submitted for ARC approval along with a site plan of the property"

My questions

1) Pro and Cons to there 3 concerns (rodents ,bugs disease etc) about fruit plants ?

2) Is a "Banana" considered a plants or tree ?

3) Pro and Cons to this statement??? "ARC will not approve any banana trees due to the aesthetic look and because they multiply"

I might use some of these replys in my presentation to the Board of Director at our next meeting. No name or emails address will be used.

I await your comments.

Thanks for your help with this matter

Comments (6)

• captgene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot another question

Pro and Con of having fruit plants including Bananas planted on the sides of the home within 4ft of each home instead of behind the home out in the open space.As suggested by the ARC

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

Well regarding the first thing about bugs and disease, other non fruiting plants and trees can attract disease and bugs as well. What WILL they let you plant...grass? Cacti? Any plant has the potential to attract infestations. Flowering plants attract bees for pollination.

Do they want to construct a plastic dome over the houses? I'm guessing you live in a gated community or something?

Pro about having bananas: You don't have to buy them from the store! :) You can have a Luau every year and use the banana leaves for the festivities. It adds a 'tropical' look to the place.

• islandbreeze
    16 years ago

Bananas are technically plants and not trees. If they don't want you to plant them because they clump, you could cut the pups off at ground level and just keep one main plant, although it will die after flowering. When it does die, it should come back from the corm (roots) with more pups. You could cut all but one back, and you have a single banana plant again. If they're worried about rodents, just cut all but about 5 leaves off. They grow so fast, cutting them off really won't harm the plant. Plus, if all but about 5 of the leaves are cut off, where would a rat or such hide? There would be nowhere for them to hide. Hope some of this is helpful to you.

• captgene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have approved all fruit plants however our ARC wants to Ban banana because they multipy. However they are not educated on them. I am going to educate everyone at our next meeting.That is why I need your comments from garden people in laymen terms.

My ARC doesn't realize that once a banana plant flowers it die. It should cut down at sametime you cut off the fruit. That is if you took care of the banana plant in the months before flowering along with cutting off the pups so the energy could go to mother plant.

As for location these are my reason why they should be planted on the side of the house with 4 ft or the home.

The house offers
    1)Wind protection
    2)Frost protection with radiate heat
    3)Easier to maintain since most home have water supply on the side of home.

LOCATION Now if you force homwowners to plant them behind the home or screen .
    1)Its harder to maintain them since water supply is limted this far from the home.
    2) They will stand out ,look more like an Orchard which we were concerned about.
    3) Limit the area for homeowner with kids to add there wood swing set since there is fruit plants in the area.

Anyone want to add anything

• islandbreeze
    16 years ago

I think wind protection is your strongest argument. If there is no wind protection, the leaves look tattered and unkept, messy, and can even break off and fall. A banana grown in an open area looks like a mess. If protected, they look beautiful, tropical, and palm-like. I assume they accept palms seeing as you're in Southern Florida? If not, then you have a heck of a tough battle to fight LOL.

• ohgirl
    16 years ago

Iam sorry for you! I couldnt stand to have someone tell me what i could or couldnt plant on my property that i own!
    Albeit something illegal like marijuana i could understand!
    How good is it living there when you cant have this, cant have that! Too many rules of what someones taste in homeownership is! I guess my poorer self is happier like iam! Good LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio