Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabine_farm

yellow and brown edges on banana leaves

sabine_farm
9 years ago

Hello all,
I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which has been growing very well (outside in warmer months) in the living room. It is next to large southern facing windows.
It has never flowered. I water it when it's almost dry and fertilize with foliage pro 9-3-6.
In the last couple of weeks the edges of the leaves have turned yellow and brown. I enclose some photos. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?
Thanks!

Comments (9)

• sabine_farm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another photo (does anyone know how to post more than one picture at a time?)

• masokealzafa
    9 years ago

The pot seems small for it. I notice with mine if leaves get like this it is dry. Banana drink alot of water. I mist mine in morning when i bring it in for lack of humidity in a home. Hope this helps beautiful big plant!

• sabine_farm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply. I shall up the water a bit. I would like to put it in a bigger pot - I'm regretting using the one it's in as it is sheet metal - the top edge returns to make it appear thick walled, but creates an undercut so the plant wont slip out of the pot. I can hardly lift it too - so it will be quite a challenge to pot up! Is now as good a time as any to re-pot it?
    Thanks.

• Christine Horan
    8 years ago

I've got an indoor potted super dwarft banana. In last wk. it's been warm on 4 th fl.& I left window open but closed it . Got lil chilly. Do you think a week of rain & at night got lil chilly would make 1/2 leaves turn brown & then die off? No full sunny days yet I have it under a 125 watt CFL bulb12 hrs a day but it's 2 ft. Away from bulb. What can i do to bring it back?Also do cloned bananas make pups? Never had one pup yet . I've had 1doz. Same kind die since Dec. I have a Meyer lemon tree potted 3 yrs old & can't get leaves to get dark ( evergreen) green? They come out yellow. Want full dark green full canopy & all I get are 8 green leaves on 3 different branches. I hear they start looking purple but mine start yellow? Why Help???

• jinnylea
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Christine, can you post a picture of your banana and lemon?? I am no expert but you might get more help with your lemon plant over on the citrus forum. Usually yellow leaves means your plant is being over watered. You want to plant citrus in a good, well draining potting mix. Look up gritty mix. Make sure your pot has plenty of drainage holes. To check the soil to see if you need to water, use a dowel to insert into the soil at the bottom of the pot. Leave it for a few minutes. Pull it out and inspect it. If the dowel comes out damp with soil on it you do not need to water. If it is fairly dry with a bit of particles sticking then it is time to water. You need to feed your Meijer lemon with a good citrus fertilizer like Foliage Pro and Dyna Gro. They contain micro nutrients that citrus needs.

• hottina44
    7 years ago

I feed foliage pro & vinagar , it. Went bald after delivered in icy Dec.2015 nice then for no change to cause leaves to go bald again. Can't figure out why? Are cavendish known for growing pups fast & easy? This is my 1st.? Only 3" tall but stalk is thicker than any I've had so far !

• Russell s a
    3 years ago

Could be too much water or not enough those will do that to you banana tree

• Swaroop Pophale
    3 years ago

My experience has been that after bring the plant indoors in a pot it is very easy to overwater. The top soil feels dry but if you gently dig down you will find that the roots are water logged. Moving the soil around the roots to ensure aeration and spacing out the watering helps.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville