Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scijox

Indoor Musa Basjoo

scijox
15 years ago

Hi, I grew a Musa basjoo last summer with pretty decent success outdoors. However, I grew it in a pot so I realized that I could not let it stay outside in that state. I went off to college unable to care for my M. basjoo and my family simply brought in the plant and put it near a window. This window does not get good sun and buffalo has been known to break records in the winter for most overcast days in a row so lets just say it's not getting a good amount of sun. I should have given them instructions for how to cut and start dormancy by storing in the garage but that isn't what happened.

My basjoo did fine up near the window for quite a few months. Then it stopped growing but still looked fine. This week it has taken a turn for the worse as the leaves are yellowing and the whole plant seems to be drooping. The stem is not as stable as it used to be as I can wiggle it around. Attached is a picture of my poor banana in need.

Anyway, what can I do? Should I try to induce dormancy now or would it never be strong enough to break out? Should I break out some grow lights and try to rescue my banana (this would be complicated and my family is reluctant because they they don't share my passion). Any help would be appreciated.

My Dad insists that I only paid $4 for it so why am I worried but all the time that went into it's growth was worth a lot more than $4 to me and I'd hate to see it die :(.

Thanks,

James.

Comments (8)

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Water it occasionally but don't over water. Move it to a place where it get light. You can also buy one of those tripod 2 light halogen shop lamps and put next to it. This will provide light and heat. Don't expect it to grow too much this winter. Just keep it alive. On sunny, warm spring days take it outside but bring it back inside on cold nights. When threat of frost is past, fertilize and take it outside permanently. It will start growing like crazy.

• scijox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah I plan to put it in the ground once the threat of frost is past. More of the leaves are yellowing so I think I am going to move it today and perhaps put it in the basement under some fluorescent lights. Like u said I don't really want it to grow I just don't want it to die on me.

• islandbreeze
    15 years ago

I found that basjoos don't do well indoors, so you're best just keeping it alive til the weather warms up. Your soil looks dry. I've found, contrary to what others have said, that in fact a decent amount of water every so often seems to push out growth, even without a lot of light. That soil looks a light gray color, almost white. I would give it a good soaking until you see water pour out into the bottom saucer, then empty the excess water from the saucer. Grow lights would probably be beneficial but not necessary in keeping it alive.

• scijox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking of putting it in the basement under some fluorescent lights. Do you think that would be sufficient.

• scijox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

NEW DISCOVERY: My basjoo is covered with mites. The barrage has started and I think those little buggers are about to pay DEARLY for what they have done.

• daryljurassic
    15 years ago

Thats common. Try not to keep it near a heat vent. I spray my naners regularly with water w/ a drop of soap to help with the mites. Keep it in the ground this fall. This type of banana doesn't seem to do as well indoors in my experience.

• scijox
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah I am currently spraying it down with soap. I intend to plant it in the ground as soon as the frost safe day comes.

• pearlgirl
    15 years ago

I haven't any experience with the banana, however, I'm
    overwintering one inside because I didn't realize that I could have left it in the ground. I potted it and now have
    it in my garden room that gets most of its light from
    overhead and a bit from the northern exposure. Long
    story short...for a while it sat there with one leaf and
    one leaf that hadn't unfurled. The tag said that it liked
    water...so...I started to water it weekly....the leaf
    unfurled and now another one has started to pop out. I'm
    so happy because I love this plant. Try keeping it at
    least moist. (LONG STORY!!)
    Margaret