Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picking Bananas

Posted by dickc 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 12:30

I have the first bananas on my tree. I heard that if they ripen on the tree they will not have any taste. How do I know when to pick? I heard you pick them green and then put in a garage under a blanket to ripen. Can I pick them individually or do I have to pick the entire stalk? The ones at the top of the stalk are the biggest so I am assuming that I pick these first.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picking Bananas

DO NOT PICK THE BANANAS INDIVIDUALLY!!! They will all need to grow and fill out before harvest or you will kill the bottom bananas that you have not harvested on the stalk. If you have not done so yet fertilize with organic high potassium and nitrogeen fertelizer and cut the flower off at the bottom where there is no longer being bananas being produced. this will help the lower bananas to fill out before harvest. you will also want ti cit the tree at about 2 inches above the ground because they will only flower and fruit once, but the pups(shoots) will grow and eventually fruit too. But remember they will only flower and fruit but the pups off the mother(Original) plant will grow and flower too. check out this link it should be very helpful: http://www.centralfloridafarms.com/bananacare.htm

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here