Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottlk

Dang gopher

scottlk
16 years ago

Well, a gopher had found my big ice cream banana. I've found 2 pups toppled over - the first I assumed blew over but this morning I checked the second and saw the chew marks on the corm. I have to find a dog-safe method to kill the little bugger!!!

Question about the fallen banana - there is about 1/2 the corm eaten, but there are still roots on whats left. If I just stick it back in the ground what are it's chances?

Comments (9)

• tropicallvr
    16 years ago

As long as it doesn't rot, and it is big enough, and gets enough heat it should come back.
    I've had the same problem with them in northern California, and went to the extreme of digging a two foot deep trench around my banana, colocasia, alocasias, jeruselem artichokes. Then put the toughest grade of chicken wire in the trench, and doubled it . The little suckers dug right up to it, but it stopped them. They also killed my 5 out of 9 bamboos that I planted the previous year.

• scottlk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks - I put it back in the ground yesterday. I figure I had nothing to lose but 5 minutes of digging time.

I decided to go the poison bait route to get the gopher - after doing research I decided that small amounts of bait applied directly into the burrow was an acceptable risk. I made my own bait applicator from a section of electrical conduit, and found the main burrow route about 8-12 inches underground. I figured the chance of my dog digging up a foot of soil and finding the 1 tablespoon of bait and then eating it within the next 1-2 weeks or so it takes for the bait to break down are phenomonally low. But just to make low approach zero I covered over my access hole with some concrete pavers I had around so he'd have to dig more like 2 feet at an angle, taking out an 8 foot banana on the way, and at that point I'd consider it more of a sucide attempt than an accidental posioning lol.

• tropicallvr
    16 years ago

Yeah that sounds safe. That's the only way I haven't tried. The gopher bombs are kinda fun, and the traps are kinda tough to trick some of those suckers with, but I hope you get yours. I don't like killing things, but those guys nearly drive me bonkers fighting them so they stay away from my bamboo groves.

• scottlk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, I'd have prefered to try and coexist peacefully. I actually saw him a couple times over the last year near a burrow entrance and he (or they lol) is/are cute, but he declared war when he toppled two 4-5 foot bananas.

• topher2006
    16 years ago

Scott
    There is a product that drives gophers away with some sort of buzzing sound. It's actually called gopher away i think.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

I don't know how large you dog is (dog-safe), but i have found I can put the bait under a large tub with a brick under one edge and two 8x16 inch concrete blocks on top to keep the smaller dogs from moving the tub. I use a pelleted poison called Havok. I mix it with peanut butter and place it under the tub. Rats and chipmunks go in and feed and in a day's tim they disappear. Be sure to check your bait every day and add to it until it is no longer being eaten.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Oh, I forgot to tell you to get some sulfur powder (drug store - flours of sulfur)and dust the chewed, open wound on the stem. It will cauterize the wound and stop rotting.

• tropicallvr
    16 years ago

Topher2006- I used to work for a guy helping with his huge garden, and we used the buzzing gopher stopper. It really only keeps them from sleeping in the area(denning). He had one at each end of his veggies beds, and we still ended up having to use the traps, with a piece of onion inside.

• jpczone8
    16 years ago

Harbor Freight sells a noise making windmill that worked against my gophers. About $15.00 and it looks ok in the yard.