Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions on what to do with my Musa Basjoo

Posted by palmmandan Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 17, 09 at 13:50

Had 2 nice potted Musa Basjoo's potted in the summer. Put the pots in the garage in early November. They died after it got cold. I wrapped the pots with insulation. Last week I heard about the artic air so I pot the pots on a dolly and took them ito our basement. It is about 60 degrees down there. The plant had pups growing on it in the summer. Should I dumped out the pots and try and seperate the pups while there is no vegetation. Should I water the pot or just leave it alone. Is 60 degrees to warm for hibernation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions on what to do with my Musa Basjoo

Greetings from balmy Massachusetts. I've got six Musa Basjoos that I used to treat as you presently are doing. Right now they are in the ground and well mulched. Leave the pups alone and water it when the soil gets dry. After you put them outside in the spring then separate the pups.

o
RE: Suggestions on what to do with my Musa Basjoo

I'm not sure what you have left after you moved them. Normally you do not want to separate smaller pups in the fall. Real big bananas can be seperated when bringing them indoors to overwinter. I always have to do this with my cavendishes; otherwise, I would need a forklift just to move them. Keeping a banana in a garage in Michigan is not good...as you learned. At this point, unless you had access to a greenhouse, I would not do any seperating until this spring - assuming you still have something to separate. You might. I supose you could take a peak. I know I have been surprised before. You might consider buying an additional musa basjoo this spring and planting it permanently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here