Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evaldas_gw

Sick super dwarf cavendish?

evaldas
12 years ago

Hi, I've had this banana since 2011 May, during the summer months it was growing really nicely, because it could spend the days outside, in the sun. Then it was brought inside in September, and around until the middle of October it was growing OK, but then as the days got shorter and shorter it started growing one leaf after another before the previous one was fully unwrapped as opposed to one at a time. It got so bad, that we've decided two weeks ago to set up artificial lighting for it. We stood it under 4x18W fluorescent T8, 6500K(cool daylight) lighting, and I thought that the plant should fix itself after about a week (because usually things happen quickly under artificial lighting with other plants for me), but it seems like it has done nothing since then.

My ideas: it can't put out new leaves because it's choking, and two less believable: bunchy top virus (due to the bunching of the leaves, although no chlorosis and I don't know how the virus would get so up north) or it's blooming and chocking.

Take a look:

{{gwi:403710}} {{gwi:403711}} {{gwi:403712}}

bunching of the leaves:

{{gwi:403713}}

Three or four immature leaves at once:

{{gwi:403714}}

Mystical hole:

{{gwi:403715}}

And the most important - the bump which I believe may soon be the escape for leaves that can't be pushed out normally:

{{gwi:403716}}

What should I do? Should I "operate" it? How would I need to do that?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz