Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerme_gw

Separating/repotting banana

gardenerme
15 years ago

I have a red ornamental banana that I have been growing outside for 2 seasons now. The first season went well, but the stem got mushy during the winter because it got too wet so I cut it down to the surface of the bulb. Last season it formed a pup on each side and those took off very well, getting about 3 feet tall and about 2 inches wide, but the original one in the center grew very slowly and only got about a foot tall and less than an inch wide.

I have removed the soil from the roots and broken the 2 larger plants off either side of the old center bulb. All bulbs are about the same size, but the stems for the 2 newer bulbs are about 2 feet tall, with a new leaf just peeking out, and the stem to the original center one just broke off, so it is stemless. All of the open leaves had to be removed because they were looking pretty ratty from the santa ana winds and the cold nights.

Should I repot the 2 bigger pups separately from the original? Is the original one toast? Will it come back when separated? Can I put them all back in the same pot? Please give me the benefit of your expertise and thanks!

Comments (2)