Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Separating/repotting banana

Posted by gardenerme z9/21 inland socal (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 16:53

I have a red ornamental banana that I have been growing outside for 2 seasons now. The first season went well, but the stem got mushy during the winter because it got too wet so I cut it down to the surface of the bulb. Last season it formed a pup on each side and those took off very well, getting about 3 feet tall and about 2 inches wide, but the original one in the center grew very slowly and only got about a foot tall and less than an inch wide.

I have removed the soil from the roots and broken the 2 larger plants off either side of the old center bulb. All bulbs are about the same size, but the stems for the 2 newer bulbs are about 2 feet tall, with a new leaf just peeking out, and the stem to the original center one just broke off, so it is stemless. All of the open leaves had to be removed because they were looking pretty ratty from the santa ana winds and the cold nights.

Should I repot the 2 bigger pups separately from the original? Is the original one toast? Will it come back when separated? Can I put them all back in the same pot? Please give me the benefit of your expertise and thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Separating/repotting banana

I would repot them seperately. That will give each one more space to grow.The original one may or may not be toast. Plant it and leave it. If it was getting squishy try and remove some of the squishy part. If its all squishy I suspect its done for. Dont water it and wait. In your zone I dont think it would take to long before you see some results. But be patient anyway.

o
RE: Separating/repotting banana

Thanks cedardave! That's just what I'll do! Thank you for answering me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here