Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbeard2323

Time to Choose

kbeard2323
12 years ago

I have scoped out a nice area in my yard for a banana patch about 10 feet from my lake. It's between citrus and Philodendron, although I suppose the philo's are optional. Have to take out the stump of some other philo's I removed before planting the bananas.

Was thinking that I would plant this spring so that gives me a couple months to get my act together, although I could be ready within a month.

If I could I'd like to get 4 (or more?) plants total of a couple different varieties. Would love input and ideas on what varieties to choose & where to get them in the Tampa (Carrollwood) area.

Here's a pic of the spot.

{{gwi:403789}}
http://flic.kr/p/bkyNCM

The stuff right close to the water like that definitely shaves a few degrees off the freezes this area gets.

We have grown bananas before, I don't know what kind but they are the standard stuff that grows everywhere in this area and puts off 4" yellow bananas. At our previous house we had 3 thriving trees of those, but we lived in a wetland so it may have been a lucky spot. Hoping to repeat that success here. So we're moderately skilled, looking to get some plants we really enjoy for eating, looking, growing.

Another issue besides variety is fertilizing the bananas while keeping fertilizer that goes into the lake at a minimum. Should I dig little holes and pour some in? I could get those tree spikes I see at lowes and use them..

Thanks for your help everyone, please ask if I need to supply more info.

-Ken

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH