Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johncrthomas

Ensete Glaucum seeds

johncrthomas
17 years ago

Has anyone raised this plant from seed? If so, do you have any hints about germination, growing on, etc.?

Comments (4)

• bob6012
    17 years ago

Jcr,
    I'm super new to bananas, but 33 days ago I put 5 Ensete Glaucum in a 6 pak container of Jiffy mix and put them on a heating pad at 80 degrees with a lid partially over them. One is up 1/2 inch so far, one is just starting to show, one rotted and two have nothing as of yet. I posted an inquiry concering the Cape Smoke paper method and wondered if anyone else is or has used it.
    Anyway, share with me any progress that you have, will you? I'm a melon and tomato guy and bananas are new except for the wild ones down here.
    Thanks,
    rramey6012@aol.com Bob Ramey

• vatajoe
    17 years ago

Hi,

My first Banana ever was an Ensete glaucum. I purchased 10 seeds from RPS last year just to try it out. Out of the 10 one came up within a few days. I presoaked the seeds for three days and put them in regular soil in a plastic ice-cream bucket. I put the bucket on my radiator which had a timer and I run the heat for 12 hours on. The temp. In the soil was about 32C when the heat was on. Like I said, one came up right away, the rest never showed upÂ.

I am posting some pictures of the one that lived and I was (still am) amazed at the speed it was growing, especially when I planted it directly into the ground. Today, the banana is still alive but I cut back all the leaves for the winter. The base of the banana is a foot wide at least. At the end of Nov. the leaves touched three meters above ground. Unfortunately I donÂt have any pics of it after Aug.

I really like the snow-banana and just ordered 100 new seeds of them.

Joe

P.S. The first picture is from 5 May then 20 May and the last picture is from 2 Augusti

{{gwi:403908}}

{{gwi:403909}}

{{gwi:403910}}

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

I had pretty much the same experience. 10 seeds 2 came up right away. I was thrilled. the rest,no show yet. The two came up in November, so I'm about losing patience now.
    The bummer is that I bought a bunch of seeds (200).
    The glaucum were freebies. The 200 of the other variety are all duds as far as I can tell.Nothing yet.

• bob6012
    17 years ago

Vatajoe,
    Wow! That's a beautiful banana plant. Good for you! What's the time frame from first leaf to planting in the ground do you remember? And now that it's 9 feet tall how old is it?
    My first one now has it's first two leaves and the other one is in the one leaf stage. Nothing on the to still in the soil.
    Ordering more seeds and am going crazy for spring to arrive.