Houzz Logo Print
bodhiblink

Why is my indoor banana tree unhappy? with pictures

bodhiblink
15 years ago

{{gwi:403924}}

{{gwi:403925}}

{{gwi:403926}}

Please hit me with any advice you have on making this tree green and happy again. It's indoors in a well lit room with central heating at cool room temperature. The plant is not in a heater draft. The pot drains within moments of me watering, so I assume the soil is draining well enough. I don't leave water in the bottom tray and I haven't watered in about two weeks. Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks.

Comments (24)

• knotz
    15 years ago

I'm sorry but your links don't work :(

knotz

• bodhiblink
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ooops I forgot to capitalize the file names... anyway, they work now! thanks. still looking for advice...

-bodhi

• mcbdz
    15 years ago

Just a guess, too little light. Could be too much or too little water also.
    Pattie

• knotz
    15 years ago

I have my 2 in a west facing window and bottom water only when they're almost dry...They are growing like crazy!!..I also put bubble wrap around the pots, not sure if that's helping hold heat in or what.

Mine look fantastic, so I'm thinking your's aren't getting enough light...Just my guess.

knotz

• scijox
    15 years ago

I had a similar issue with my indoor Musa Basjoo. I just found out that the problem is due to mites. Check your plant EXTREMELY closely (use a magnifying glass if u need) and look for these tiny little bugs. I had no idea I had any and now I realize mine is COVERED! They make little silk strands too which should help u find them. Someone suggested this to me a while ago on another forum and I was like "I don't see anything" but I didn't look hard enough.

Hope you make your banana happy again!

-James.

• daryljurassic
    15 years ago

Could be spider mites. Try to routinely spray all sides of the leaves with a drop of liquid soap added to your sprayer. Remove the dead leaves

• arctictropical
    15 years ago

Regarding spider mites, for years I used a variety of different outdoor and indoor insecticides but always ended up with a terrible infestation of mites each year. This year I switched to an insecticidal soap, and have not had any problem with mites! I have about 4 ensete (one 15' tall) and 3 musa (Texas star) and despite 60% humidity in the house, they all tend to get a little yellowing around the edges of the oldest leaves for some reason. Not sure is it's because of age, lack of bright light, or something else, but the overall health of the plants are great, so maybe you're OK as long as there are no mites.

Kevin

• beachbum_nj
    15 years ago

{{gwi:403930}}

{{gwi:403931}}

{{gwi:403932}}

These are pictures of my Musa that I bring into my house every year. I give it a good watering once a week. It is in a north-west corner of my room. It gets light, but not good sunlight. As you notice, the leaves will start to turn yellow and then crispy brown. When it gets to the point that I don't like the brown leaf, I cut it off. So far, each plant has produced 2 new leaves. They grow slowly indoors. In the spring I will then return it outdoors. All you have to do is keep it alive and it will do great when you take it back out....Good luck

• knittlin
    15 years ago

I could be wrong since I've never tried to keep a banana indoors so it might be something I don't know about, but your plant's leaves look exactly like my houseplants' when they get a buildup of salts in the soil from fertilizing. When I start to see leaves like that, I give the entire pot a good washout by taking it outside (or putting it in the shower) and running water through the soil for about half an hour to wash it out. If that doesn't fix it, I repot with fresh soil.

• banana_fun
    15 years ago

Your banana plant looks fine to me. Older leaves yellow, if you don't like the yellow leaves, cut them off.

• islandbreeze
    15 years ago

Could be a salt build up as stated above. Another member in the palm forum recommended that every time you water, water thoroughly so that you see water come out of the bottom of the pot, and when water accumulates in your saucer, empty it. Don't let plants sit in standing water.

BUT...It looks even more like a mite infestation to me. I have a 9 foot Musa Ice Cream that got mites last summer. The leaves looked exactly like that, older leaves looking like the green is being sucked out of them from the edges in. A little dish soap and a lot of water in a sprayer should take care of the problem. Mites hang around the underside of the leaves. Take a look, mine were tiny red things, almost looked like dust.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

They look as good as the bananas in my greenhouse. Have you ever noticed you seldom see a banana tree used as an indoor plant in the malls? Why? Because they are tempermental when indoors for us amateurs. I think yours are OK. Check them for bugs and wait another 40 days when you can begin to put them outside again.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I agree with bananafun and tsmith,yout plants look fine,if anything maybe just dry heated winter air in the house,they can go back outside soon so no worries.
    I don't believe you have spidermites because they usually make the leaves blotchy and bleached out looking but it never hurts to check,I think they look good for being inside

• indoorbananatree
    13 years ago

The Indoor Banana Tree plant is gorgeous and smells as good as it looks not to mention the tropical feel it will add to your decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor Banana Tree

• 123_jumpstreet_net
    13 years ago

Have you tried talking to it. Sometimes when I'm unhappy having a good friend to talk to helps a lot. Just let it know you care and it will come around sooner than you think.

• plantfreak61
    12 years ago

I have a couple of potted Bananas that are off-shoots of what would have been a three year old this year.
    I bring them in every winter and they do just fine growing in the north window of my home. One of the two has six new shoots(About 12+ inches tall) the other has three. My only problem I do have with them is they get spider mites. I have treated with Neem oil since I am unwilling to treat with any other pestiside. They are in Misco Plant Spa self watering pots that are filled weekly from the bottom and use all the water each week.
    The only browning I have on my plants leaves are the result of the mites. Check your plants to see if that may be the problem or else try more water since they tend to be a very thirsty plant.
    Good Luck.

• angelikastyl
    12 years ago

My indoor banana plant has been exhibiting the dry, brown ends in the pix posted above. Come to find out, months later, that, yes, in fact, there are mites. I am freaking bc my palm had the same last year, and now it's down to a few leaves. :( I will "shower" the banana to lose some of the mites, although, I understand that they live on the underside and to drain the soil that it lives in. I have spritzed the palm with above-mentioned dish soap (but it's supposed to be a soap that does not have...something, anybody?) And I guess I will cut off the leave that are painful looking. Any further advice?

• hottina44
    8 years ago

I just ordered a patio banana plant & I was wondering how to care for it in Apt. Can't put outside& how long until it gets bananas ? My add says gets fruit all yr.can it be true & how big or old should it be before I see bananas ? It's gonna be a baby sprout?

• hottina44
    8 years ago

Also what is the best soap to use for mites? Dawn w degreaser or ivory( babu soap? Ratio of soap to water ? Is it safe to flood soil w soap & water mix, or just clean pot & get fresh soil.do I need coconut or sand to make soil mix to empty pot easily. I'm waiting for patio lemon tree 1st. That needs something in soil I hear to keep roots not setting in water long, is it true for baby banana tree ? I need help I'm new at this new kind of plants ? HELP

• foreverlad
    8 years ago

Banana plants need real exposure to the elements to grow properly. They don't make good houseplants except during the winter months where they're usually dormant.

Each pseudostem (stalk/trunk) that grows from the base can eventually produce fruit, but only after approximately 18 months or 35-40 leaves have developed. Afterward the stalk dies and the legacy continues through new pseudostems, each of which will need 18 months.

Mike

• richard_hodgkison
    8 years ago

Hi, I've got a male and female flowers, any tips on pollination?

• foreverlad
    8 years ago

Richard, no need to pollinate unless you're looking for seeds. I don't know the percentage, but a good portion of bananas won't come true from seed, and propagation is primarily from pups.

I've never pollinated anything before, let alone Bananas. If you're really hoping for seed, you'll have to do some research, and quickly, judging by that beauty.

As you may be aware, male flowers will drop their buds, while female buds will develop into full fruit. Don't be alarmed by the bud drop.

Mike

• richard_hodgkison
    8 years ago

Thanks Mike, I hear Musa basjoo seeds are rare and the plants are usually obtained from division and also thought to be sterile, but gonna try anyway. My wife's not going to be too happy about her makeup brush. Lol

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!