Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coffeeboy66

Banana tree continuing to grow after accident?

coffeeboy66
14 years ago

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any idea if this is normal, or a problem? Thanks alot for you help, and sorry for the long explanation.

I live in the UK and recently planted an ensete seed. The sapling has been growing extremely fast, more than an inch every other day, and has been growing straight upwards in a tight 'stalk' (no leaves yet). So you know, it's indoors, with a lamp and heated propagator.

It's been like this for about 10 to 12 days and I am expecting it to open/unravel into leaves.

Thing is, after about a week, something (I've no idea what) ate or destroyed the top 1/2 inch of the plant clean off, so it no longer has a tip (you can see down the inside of the stalk and the layers). I did think the plant would die, but instead the inner most 'layer' has continued to grow, and is back to going upwards of just under an inch a day.

Obviously, the plant is not having growing issues, but it now looks strange because it has a thin stalk growing up from the other layers that stopped and still doesn't have leaves. Now it's almost 30cm tall but seems to still just be going up and not doing doing anything else.

Now, I haven't grown banana's before and I'm worried that it wont develop properly because of the 'accident' making it grow strange. Two questions then:

2. Is the sapling likely to keep growing into a plant depsite the fact the inside layer is now the bit growing up from inside the rest?

2. When can I expect a leaf from the stalk? (im guessing it just unravels) because the sapling is now almost 30cm tall and this would really put my mind at rest that the plant is ok. It's been growing just under 2 weeks.

Any help (reassurance) really appreciated, thanks!

Comments (2)