Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayalee_gw

Ensete ventricosum

mayalee
17 years ago

After seing the picture of an EV growing in a friend's garden last year, I am tempted to get one going in mine. Do they send pups or I need to start from seeds ?

Because I have some basjoo and others and I would have eventually tried a trade. Basjoo pups well but I don't know if E. ventricosum does ? Thanks ! Maya

Comments (12)

• cedardave
    17 years ago

Start them from seed. They are super easy to sprout. Ive got just over 100 going for spring . The seeds are pretty easy to find.

• mayalee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dave thank you... so they don't pup eh ?

• cedardave
    17 years ago

I have never had one pup. I have heard some people may have. I would just start them from seed ...they are easy

• banana_fun
    17 years ago

Ensete ventricosum DO pup, but the technique sacrifices the main plant, many of use are not willing to make this sacrifice for a few pups. Seed is best.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/publications/plantsman/0606/Ensete.pdf

Cheers,

• steelviper
    17 years ago

Yeah, this type of banana only pups if you cut it in half or more. i would say seed is the best way to go.But!! it would be best to buy at least 20 seeds. Some batches of seed will not germinate. Somtimes you will only get 1 out of 20 seeds to grow.Sometimes 20 out of 20.Also, there is a red form on EV, known as Ensete Ventricosum "Maurelii" Also these guys get big to. Mine is at 20 feet and still growing. And its only 2 years old!!
    {{gwi:404008}}

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    17 years ago

Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelii' is a wonderful plant. They might do better with just a bit of shade in SE Virginia. Also, you should be able to find 1/2 gal. or 1 gal. plants at nurseries like McDonald's in the Spring.

• bob6012
    17 years ago

CedarDave,
    Did you soak your seeds before you planted them? And did you put them on a heating pad/device of any kind?
    I did 5 in Jiffy-Mix on a covered heat pad at 80 degree and only 2 germinated.
    I ordered another 100 seeds last night from The Banana Tree and am going to try again.

• steelviper
    17 years ago

When germinating your banana seeds, alternate your temperatures.I have had much better results with this method. Say, 80F-90F degrees during the day,then turn off the heat pad at night. try to get it to 60F-70F at night. 12hrs at 80-95F then 12hrs at 60-75F.

• cedardave
    17 years ago

I soak mine for 2 or 3 days... change the water daily. I usually soak them in plastic beer cups on top of the fridge. Before I plant them I rinse them with warm water...sometimes dip them in 1 part bleach 9 parts water to prevent fungus....but sometimes I dont bother. Usually put seed starting mix in a 5 or 6 inch plastic container(walmart storage tubs do fine)and put them in a warm spot. The last ones I planted started to sprout in a couple days. Over the last week or so 60 of 106 have started to grow. Ive pulled them out of the tub they were started in...put then in individual plastic beer cups( with drainage holes in the bottom)and put them in the light. Most have there first full leaves. I order my seeds from rareseedsource and always have good results.

• bob6012
    17 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful instructions, Dave. I'm going to follow them to a 'T'. I happen to have the clear plastic beer cups with drain holes in the bottom from my tomato session last year. Might have to get some more.
    I ordered my seeds from The Seedman in Mississippi and more from The Banana Tree.
    By the way, do you alternate the temperature between high of 80 down to the 50's? I'm using a heat mat with a fixed temp of 80 degrees. I never thought of using the top of the fridge.
    Bob,

• cedardave
    17 years ago

I keep them on the fridge while there soaking, otherwise I just keep them in the bins (lids on) close to the heat registers. Its pretty cold here now so the heat comes on and goes off quite often. I think as long as there in a relatively warm place, the temps are going to fluctuate from daytime to nighttime anyway. I have never used a heat mat for any of my seeds.

• nucci60
    17 years ago

Hace tried three times without success. Maybe my seeds were not fresh enough. giving them bottom heat and varying temps at night. no luck. Bought a plant from wellspring off ebay and it has doubled in size in a small pot. amazing plant!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!