Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threemonsters

Container size for dwarf variety for privacy purposes, not fruit?

threemonsters
13 years ago

I live in suburbia with ridiculously short fences surrounding the yard (maybe 5 ft). I get along with all my neighbors, however, I have built a deck on our sloping backyard which inevitablly allows me to see that much easier over our already short fences. In the interest of privacy, I wanted a couple of container grown dwarf bananas (either Orinoco or cavendish) along the edge of my deck, providing a small screen. However, given the size of our deck, I do not want gigantic 25 gallon pots. I guess I am trying to find the MINIMUM container size needed to grow either of these

varieties to at least 5 ft tall, because I'm not worried as to whether or not they will fruit. We live in Texas, probably 7b, so I'm hoping they grow fast and furious!

For my choosy husband, I'm looking for ceramic pots, and these get pricey, the bigger you go, so I'm trying to maximize my bang for my buck

Yes, I do realize that a one gallon pot isn't going to cut it! ;-)

Thanks for any info!

I am planning on growing some ice cream and banjo in the ground to screen out my other neighbor.....! Can't wait to see how big they get!

Comment (1)