Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topher2006

It is possible..

topher2006
16 years ago

Just wanted everyone to see.. That these pups were cut from the mother and potted last fall. The smallest was about 2 in long None of them had any leaves whatsoever

and as you can see they are doing quite well.

{{gwi:404085}}

Comments (6)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

What kind of banana? How large was the mother? You must have gotten a fair bit of corm for each one? Did they have the start of roots? Where were you keeping these -- They look very healthy -- in a greenhouse?

• topher2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dave
    The red/green dwarf mother was right at 5 ft tall.
    the williams was 3 ft tall .I have been keeping these in my house . When we cut them we did get lots of roots on 1 but the others realy didn't have a lot of roots.

• ohgirl
    16 years ago

They look great. Those babies of yours look healthy!
    Thank-you for the pics'.

• topher2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks a lot ! I posted these because everyone i talk to says to wait till the pups have at least 2 leaves, and
    just wanted to try and see if i could get pups to grow
    that small.

• josh_palm_crazy
    16 years ago

Topher I think I have a Red/Green Dwarf also. Yours look a lot like my pups. Do yours ever get any red splotches on they're leaves? Mine may also be a Dwarf Cavendish.

I was just curious and it probably wont work but in the future when I remove pups without roots can they be dipped in rooting hormone like certain other plants to grow new roots and replant?

Also how do you tissue culture a banana plant or any other plant for that matter? Ive heard you can split the mother corm into 4 pie sections and grow 4 new plants. Is this true at all? Thanks for any info.

• topher2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Josh
    No mine don't get any red splotches that i have ever seen.
    I had a pup a guy gave me with no roots. I never tried rooting hormone but 2 weeks later it died.
    I have no idea how to tissue culture a banana sorry .