Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fastingdoc

M.Darjeeling sikkim outdoor in Ga?

fastingdoc
15 years ago

Hi, I am looking for someone growing edible banana in Northern Georgia, esp.from seeds. I am going to buy some from www.seedman.com, cold hardy ones. Any suggestions as how to germinate seeds, and winterize grown-ups? My zone is 7a. Also, any exp. with pineapple guava? Thanks in advance

Comment (1)

• subtropix
    15 years ago

I haven't grown these from seed but have grown Ensete (Abyssinian bananas) from seed. Not sure if Musa is that much different in germination, but the Ensete were relatively easy. Ensete seeds are big. I soaked them overnight in warm water (not sure if this is recommended or even helpful for Musa). I used a good, standard,sterile, fertile mix and made sure they had a good source of warmth. I would either provide bottom heat or partially cover the seed bed with a pane of glass and have them in a really sunny, warm window. Make sure the soil is NOT wet but stays somewhat moist. Darjeeling is one of my favorite Musa varieties. They are robust, cool tolerant, and beautiful. I actually had one flower and fruit a few years back--very impressive (mind you this variety is not grown to be edible). They are among the easiest to overwinter in my opinion. I lift my plants from the ground around late November after the leaves have begun to burn from frost. You can leave the trunk if you like or cut down to the base of the pseudostem if you want. Mine are currently resting on their sides in the basement, under the stairs. Not sure if they are winter hardy in zone 7. They are soooo easy to lift (even big ones), I figure it's more work trying to protect them in the ground (mulching, covering, etc.). I've got a bit of Spring fever so I think I headed on down to the basement to begin to take inventory and start them up in containers. You might also be interested in a few other even cold hardier species for your zone (Musa basjoo and Lasiocarpa--Chinese banana). Basjoos are cold hardiest (zone 6??) but I seem to have a problem overwintering them INSIDE (never tried outside). The Chinese banana should be good with some protection to zone 7 (more clumping, readily pupping, and long-lasting season with beautiful, yellow flowers). Cheers. PS. I have the tropical guava tree but don't know how similar/different this is to the "pineapple guava".

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm