Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vmckague_gw

Moving musa basjoo

vmckague
17 years ago

I have a basjoo growing outside right by my back door and need to move it. Should I move it now when it is dormant or wait until this spring when it is showing new growth? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (8)

• xerophyte NYC
    17 years ago

It's probably better to move it now before it starts putting out new feeder roots, but they are such tough plants it may not make much of a difference.

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

I waited until they are up sprouted about a foot tall before I moved mine. I think that was around June 1. The reason being, I had several sprouts that came up in the same place and I was able to separate them too at that time.
    I had mine too close to the patio. I think you need to allow at least 5-7 feet! Mine were more like 2 feet away. We had to hack all the leaves off one side so we could hang out. My hubby was laughing all summer about having to hack his way through the jungle to get to the bbq grill.
    Can't wait till spring!

• vmckague
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's why I need to move mine. It was next to impossible to get out my back door last season so I finally ended up cutting off all the leaves on one side and it sure made for a weird looking plant. After this last freeze my plant fell over even with the ground. I sure hope there is still some life left in the bulb. I had it mulched really good but this is the worst cold we have had here in central missouri in a long time. Well I guess its just wait and see.

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

If not, I'll have plenty of them in the spring.
    I have 300 or so more ordered now for April delivery.
    Don't give up on it too soon though. I had one that didn't come up until June 10th last year. It was in a shady place.

• turquoise
    17 years ago

You have 300 ordered?? Wow, pictures, pictures!

• hibiscus909
    17 years ago

I would wait till things warm up. If the corm or roots get cut when you dig it up, then put it in cold, moist soil, you could have a rot problem.
    Sandy - 300? You are nuts! But it just might work ;)

seahorse

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

I'm not planting all 300, I have a greenhouse and sell them. I do have about 25 planted though. I sure miss them this time of year.
    Picture is of the basjoo that I had to keep hacking on. It got worse than this!

Here is a link that might be useful: hacked musa basjoo

• watergal
    17 years ago

I had to keep hacking back whole plants! Mine is behind my pond, in a narrow strip of earth between the pond and the house foundation. I started with one plant nicely centered behind the pond, but the clump keeps expanding in either direction into the adjacent plantings. I let a few of the best located ones stay, the rest get chopped down at ground level with a knife every few weeks. I used to dig and divide, but I got lazy and tired of hunting down recipients.