Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

rhizome/bulb question..

daniellalell
16 years ago

OK first off, what is it? bulb? rhizome?

I acquired a banana plant last fall, unknown to me what kind. I do know the previous owner, in my zone, overwintered it indoors. So I had it on my enclosed back porch for awhile. Forgot to bring it in when it got real cold, and the psuedostem froze & fell over the next day when it thawed. I cut it down to the bulb. The core of the top of the bulb was a bit mushy so i kinda trimmed it up. Is that OK?

Then I figured while I was at it, I may as well seperate all the pups from the mother, yeah I know, NOT the time of year to do that, lol. But the plastic pot they were in was cracking on one side due to it being so crowded. So I did that, and stored them in peat in a plastic bag like I read on here that some folks do.

I took them out the other day to start them going inside, and found that the 2 large bulbs had a couple small mushy spots, so like I did before I cut them off. All the smaller offsets were fine. Though nothing showed any signs of growth. I Let them sit in a warm dry area for 2 days, and then potted them up. Right now they have bottom heat of 70, and when and if they pop up, I will get them under lights.

Do you all think they will be OK? Do you think the ones that had a couple mushy spots which I trimmed will be OK? Did I do the right thing?

Will these actually put out new growth?

Have any of you ever trimmed off the mushy parts and still had success?

Any and all info and advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Daniella

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus