Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is our banana tree done for?

Posted by roxy77 Houston Z9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 06 at 9:10

We got a freeze on Saturday night that has obviously zapped our trees as the foilage is brown and wilty. I had cut them down during December but they grew back with our warm January to about 5-6 feet tall.

Are they dead for good?

Please excuse my ignorance as I know about a lot of plants but not the bananna trees since they are my least favorite. I honestly wouldn't mind if they were dead. I like them, but the neighbor is always complaining about them and they put out a lot of pups.

Anyway, I don't know what kind it is but here is a picture from last summer.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Do you think a freeze killed them for good or will they come back from the roots?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is our banana tree done for?

That depends how cold it got and what type they are. Being a large established clump, there is a good chance the corm could re-shoot, dependant of how cold/what variety.

o

Just let them be!!! Cut off any obviously mushy, rotten stuff as it develops. Until there is hole in the ground, there is always hope. Just give them time and see what happens. You will be surprised!!

o

I am pretty sure they will come back. I will trim them down.

Thanks ya'll.

o

They will come back. Mine look like that every winter. I leave the brown leaves on til I am certain there won;t be another hard freeze, they help insulate the plant. They start leafing back out immediately as soon as it gets warm, above 45 or so, consistently at night. Like, this week. We had our only lonely hard freeze (so far, and it was LATE) Monday night and last night. 24 and 26

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here