Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbishop_gw

Online Musa Basjoo plant /seed sources

pbishop
16 years ago

I have a daughter who is petrified of bees so I'm converting my garden to ornamental grasses and tropicals.

The pictures of the Musa Basjoo plants are awesome so I'd like to get one or two. My local nursery wants $55 for a tiny plant so I've been looking at some online, even ebay, and the prices seem reasonable.

What's a reputable site to get one or two.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• bubbalove
    16 years ago

Slightly off-topic.
    You could take your daughter to a bee-keeper to get her over fear of bees. Always upsets me when I see kids or adults who are afraid of bees/wasps. I used to keep bees.
    A good beekeeper can walk her around the apiary, explain what the bees are doing, etc.
    I think the fear of bees and wasps is hardwired into us, like an instinct, but it doesn't have to bee :) Most stinging insects would rather not sting us.
    just a thought.

• tpalm
    16 years ago

wellspring100, ON EBAY. I BOUGHT ONE 6" PLANT LAST SPRING ALONG WITH SOME ELEPHANT EARS (BORNEO GIANT+CALADORA).THEY ALL GREW HUGE. THE BASJOO BANANA GOT TO 6'AND NOW IS STILL PUSHING OUT GREEN LEAVES AFTER SEVERAL NIGHTS IN THE 20s AND A FEW IN THE TEENS. EVERY THING I HAVE BOUGHT FROM THEM WAS NICE AND CHEAP.YOUR DAUGHTER WILL GROW OUT OF IT MY SISTER DID...GOOD LUCK...T

• banana_fun
    16 years ago

Is your caps button broken?

• tpalm
    16 years ago

ArE YoU WiTh tHE tYPING POLICE?

• banana_fun
    16 years ago

There's typing police? What a strange world we live in.

• nightrider767
    16 years ago

OK,, so looks like we all can agree that buying smaller banana trees would be a good option for you. Now that being said,,,, sounds like you're going to need a lot of bananas to fill your garden.

If I was in your shoes, I'd think about buying six small trees and set them up where you want them to grow. Get them started and in the mean time, do more research on propogation and division.

I'm no banana expert, but I do know that starting with a number like six, and using good techique, within 4 years you could completely fill a yard.

Now a yard full of bananas may be a little extreme. But a least multiply them to the extent you want to fill and with the others, you would could trade them online or locally for other plant varietes that might suit you.

Either way good luck and have fun with it. I've never spent $55 on any plant. My victory is in doing things the cheap way and making new freinds and trading with them.

OH and by the way, if you want a tropical garden, don't forget canna, ginger and elephant ear. I think canna is a must have. I love canna. 6 plant for six bucks just about anywhere. I buy my elephant ear at the grocery store. If it's available, it'll be in the fresh vegetable section under the name of "taro". Yep, the same plant Hawaians make poi out of.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!