Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintered, now what?

Posted by ces797 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 12:47

So I keep finding lots of information on how to get banana plants ready to overwinter and different types of methods. What' I'm coming up short on is the back end process. What do you do to get the dormant plants growing again and how early do people start.

I have two Ensete Maurelli's in the basement overwintered bare root. Has roots they are all shriveled at this point.
One of the plants really seems to be shriveling to pieces while the other is still full and robust so I was thinking I may need to intervene on the dehydrated one.

Can I just put these bananas back in a small pot with no roots and they will start throwing out new roots kind of like a bulb?

Thanks so much

Curtis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintered, now what?

hi curtis.. this is my 3rd winter with bananas..
i have several maurelli..glaucum..and musas..
on the dehydrating out..bananas are full of water
when u dig them in the fall.. and will "shrink"
and ive lost some ..mostly ensetes..??not sure why just
them.. but.. last yr and this yr..all my ensetes are doing
well..what ive done..is spray the roots with water.. actually i mix some kelp powder in there too..
and to hold off any molding/mushing up..i buy cinnamon at
discout store..and dust the P stem well..
my ensetes are pretty big..largest was over 300# im sure..
but i will be potting it and all others up..in early april..put them in real sunny window.. and haul out on days
in upper 50sF..
roots on your ensetes will come back.. im sure.. these plants are great arent they !!!
also.. check out bananas.org alot of great people over there too.. good luck to ya !!

o
RE: Overwintered, now what?

I've grown ensete for about 15 years now. I simply cut them off in the fall to 6' stumps, re-pot them in 15' gallon pots and stick them in my basement in unlit,unheated room. I have not watered them once so far this winter. I might give them a little water now. They all put up new leaves during winter (sickly yellow leaves since their is no light), but every time I put them out in the light and heat, and stick them near a window, they start to green up, and are ready to transplant outside in May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here