Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylily79

Growing from seed

daylily79
17 years ago

Any tips? I have velvet pink, chinese yellow, and chinese something else... anyway here is my question any tips you use beyond a warm sunny window and moist soil?

Comments (4)

• bob6012
    17 years ago

Daylily,
    There's not a whole lot of information out there on growing from seeds. My first attempt was a 50/50 success story. I put 5 seeds in a soiless potting mixture. Jiffy-Mix to be exact. First I soaked the seeds in water for 24 hours, put in the Jiffy-Mix and put on a heat pad with a plastic lid on it and set the pad at 80 degrees. 31 days later I had two that sprouted. I waited a couple of days and then moved them up to a 4X4 by 5 inch tall containers containing Miracle Grow potting mix......and boy did they take off!
    One of the remaing seeds rotted and the other two are still germinating.
    Then I find a site that says to "Boil one qt. of water and pour this over the seeds. Leave seeds in this for five days. Fill a flat with a good potting mix, plant the seeds one inch apart and set on a heat mat at 95 degrees turning the pad off at night. They may start to sprout in a few weeks up to a few months. Then dig them up and pot up to larger pots and keep the soil moist."
    I'm now trying a new stuff called Cape Smoke. It's a long story but you can Google it and get the answer from a lot of different sources.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your success.

• daylily79
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks - I am going to keep working to get them all going - maybe we need to keep things well documented to start our own web info site... All I have is a warm sunny window so I am starting there. I might need to get a heating pad and see how it works.

• bob6012
    17 years ago

Daylily,
    The new model heat pads are required to have an automatic shut-off after 3 hours.Makes it hard to keep a constant temp when you have to go reset the switch every three hours, so I went to my Salvation Army and Goodwill stores and bought the old type for 2 bucks each. You can set them at 4 different temps and they'll stay at one constant temp until you overload the circut and you burn your house down.I have 5 of them. Also you can use a regular mercury thermometer from Wal-mart to keep the temp at 80 degrees or better,
    Then I went to the Wal-mart cake center and bought a 1/2 sheet cake container. It's a black rectangular plastic bottom and clear plastic top to hold a birthday cake.They're 20 inches by 15 inches. I put my old heat pad on the black bottom, my seeds in Jiffy-mix in used plastic meat trays (Wal-mart) on my heating pads and then put the dome over my trays and there ya go! You're in the banana business.
    If you can't get it at Wal-Mart, you don't need it! An odd statement from an ex Kmart D.M

• miamimax
    17 years ago

scarify the seed and then soak in water for 24 hours, plant them up and DONT keep them too wet. You should get close to 100% IF they are fresh seed. They should start to germinate within 2 weeks.