Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

recommendation for container banana

lycheeluva
16 years ago

I live in NY and would like to grow a banana in a container so that I can put it in my garage for the winter (under grow lights).

Are there any bananas that can fruit in a container withoutgetting taller than 6ft.

If so, what is the best tasting variety that fits this criteria.

Comments (7)

• islandbreeze
    16 years ago

Musa Dwarf Cavendish would probably be your best bet, but if you want to use a grow light, then you should keep it above 50F, otherwise it won't grow, and if it doesnt' grow, then you don't need a grow light. From what I understand, this variety is one of the more common varieties of bananas sold in grocery stores.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Island- is there any particular nursery thought of highly in this forum where I can buy this?

• islandbreeze
    16 years ago

From what I understand, it is the most commonly grown banana in the US, so it should be very easy to find them. Check some of your higher-end nurseries, they usually carry bananas. I bought mine from Meijer a couple years ago, but this past winter I put it in the garage, and I think it died. the stalks rotted, but I'm not sure if the corm (roots) are still alive or not. i cut the rotted stalks down, removed the roots from the dirt, and set the corm in front of a heater for a while to dry it out. I'm hoping they're still alive, but I guess I won't know until this spring when I plant it. Anyway, try googling Musa Dwarf Cavendish, and they should be very easy to find a mail order plant. You could also try ebay. Usually bananas are only sold as very small plants, usually no more than a foot tall, since they grow so fast. Give it full sun, plenty of water and fertilizer, and it should easily reach 3 to 4 feet this summer.

• allen491
    16 years ago

Super Dwarf Cavendish or Petite Naine would be your best bet. Dwarf Cavendish will eventually exceed the 6' limit. I have been told that the heights given are pseudostem heights. You would have to allow another 2' for the leaves and another foot for the pot.

I have no idea where you would find these bananas in your area.

• banana_fun
    16 years ago

The psuedostem of dwarf bananas will reach 6-8' and the emerging leaf will bring the overall height to 12-14' plus the pot you are looking at 15-17'. Not a very good banana for indoors.

I would plan on growing your bananas outdoors in summer then cutting the leaves off and storing the root-mass in a bag or pot over winter. Bananas will not grow well in a garage during winter unless the temperature in garage is aprox. 70F or greater and humidity is high.

The taller banana species look much nicer then the super dwarf variety in my opinion, so go for the big ones and scare your neighbours.

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Hi Lycheeluver
    I would go with the super dwarf cavendish. I have both the dwarf cavendish which is around 6 feet tall max, and the super dwarf which is about 2 feet tall. They look identical, just one is much smaller. For me (living in Florida and having them planted in the ground) both have been equally trouble-free and have fruited without problem. I don't even fertilize them, lol. I know growing them in containers is different and some people say that the super dwarf has the tendency to 'choke' in a container but I haven't found that to be the case in the ground at all.

I might have a pup to trade soon if you are interested in trading.

• dan112
    16 years ago

I would also suggest the Zebrina banana. The one with the leaves with the reddish coloring on them. I have had mine growing inside for winter and outside for summer for two years and it does really well. It never seems to get to huge heights but it looks very healthy all winter long even when it receives very little sunlight. I just water it less. I've never had any luck with Super Dwarf Cavendish over winters.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!