Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Banana varieties & winter dormancy issues

User
14 years ago

I would like to know which bananas (Musa, Ensete or others) are least likely to have problems if kept in winter dormancy. I recently took my banana collection out of winter storage--kept on the cold side (in a garage) but should have been frost free as other tropicals overwinter there. Some of the varieties were fine--no rotting/minimal die back, these included: Ensete (bronze variety), Lasiocarpa (Chinese banana), and the basjoo (Japanese hardy). I realize thees were the cold hardiest but I expected less die back/rotting on the Musa sikkimensis (more about them below). In previous winters, I have kept the bananas dormant in the house (at much warmer temps), but even then, I noticed that some bananas had an easier time being kept dormant--their trunks did not wither any or rot for example. If I remember correctly, the sikkimensis were not the greatest in overwintering in the warm basement either. Which typically maintain a healthy pseudostem even when dormant (at either cold or warm winter conditions)?

For the rotted sikkimensis plants, I cut them down to the corm, cut out any decay, washed them in reasonably hot (not scalding water), sprinkled them with Cooper sulfate and let them dry. Going to put them in dry sphagnum moss once they dry out a bit more. The corms are mostly firm so they should be okay. Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)