Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwallen1961

Can potted bananas flower and produce fruit?

rwallen1961
17 years ago

I purchased 2 bananas about 3 years ago. One was Monkey Fingers and the other was Ice Cream. Unfortunately, one of them didn't survive and at this point, I'm not sure which one of the 2 I have.

This banana is growing in a pot that is about 2 feet tall and about 2 feet across and is thriving. It lives outdoors all summer and indoors during the winter. I have 18' ceilings and at this point, the new leaves are right up to the ceiling. (Yes, it's a major pain to get this baby in and out of the house, but somehow, I manage it twice a year....)

Does anybody know if there are any issues getting bananas to flower and produce fruit if they are potted versus growing in the ground? I would think it's getting close to maturity as it is 18' tall and the base of the stalk measures a full 23" around. This is a big banana!

This banana has been thriving all winter and while the growth has slowed down significantly versus what I would see outside in the summer, it has still grown 4 or 5 new leaves while inside this winter.

Any tips or information would be appreciated.

Here are a couple of pictures:

{{gwi:405413}}

{{gwi:405414}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting