Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I know if it survived? Temperatures to uncover?

Posted by turquoise 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 9:52

I have five musa basjoo out in the yard. I protected them with bagged leaves over the winter and most were protected from the wind to some degree. I peeked at them yesterday and they were mushy. I know that doesn't necessarily mean they're dead, but is there a way to know for sure? We had a very cold winter (15 below), so I'm worried that I lost all of them. Do I just need to wait and see?

One more quick question, how high should the nighttime temperature have to be before they can be safely left uncovered?

Thanks very much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I know if it survived? Temperatures to uncover?

Sorry, I just saw the response below to leave them uncovered when heavy frosts are done. I'd still love to know if there's a way to tell if they're going to make it. Thanks!

o

You won't lose all of them. You probably won't lose any of them if they were protected well.
Uncover them when you see that daffodils are in full bloom, that's what I do here/ that is usually the end of April. If the weather's nice, some of them will start growing soon. If not, they'll wait a little while longer.

o

Really?? Thanks so much, you've given me hope. I've been preparing myself for losing all of them (and using it as motivation not to let that happen next year). Even if a few make it I'll be happy. Thanks for your response!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here