Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
After Maurelli Freeze Back - How Big the Next Year?

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 9:55

I just purchased my first Red Abyssinian Banana (Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelli') and have it planted in the ground with lots of amendments - manure, peat and bone meal - as I learned on this forum. Boy is he happy. New leaves already and smiles all around. :)

So here's my question. I live in Jacksonville, Florida, which is located in the northeast corner of the state. Even though yes, it is Florida, we get a couple of hard freezes every year - low of 27.6 this year for several hours. The freezes turn most everything brown and some tender plants freeze back to the roots. When a Maurelli freezes back, assuming it doesn't die, does it basically have to start over each year with new growth from the ground up? So will you have the same height plant - 4-6' - each year? Or will it come back a little bigger each year due to the established roots? What I'm trying to say is, will I ever have an 8' or 10' tall banana? Since it is planted in the ground, I won't be bringing it in, and it will only be heavily mulched for protection, so it will almost certainly get some freeze burn.

Thank you so much in advance!
Carol in Jacksonville

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: After Maurelli Freeze Back - How Big the Next Year?

If the trunk is alive it will take off from where it left off....

Mine last summer,the poor thing suffered in the heat !

Photobucket

And now...........3-11-12

Photobucket

Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA
Click for weather forecast

o

Jim,

Thanks so much for the reply and the photos. Wow, yours is huge! Does yours stay in the ground year-round? Or do you dig it up and take it in for the winter? In the bottom photo, was it being freshly planted for Spring, or were you just adding goodies/amendments?

Also, what is that wrapped around the trunk in the top photo?

Boy, I can't wait for mine to get that big. Here's how it looks today. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Carol

o

This guy is putting up a new leaf about every three to four days. Unbelievable! He has four full leaves and is working on his fifth. I could make a photo flip book of its growth.

Carol

o

Five leaves up, working on the sixth!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here