Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfhellwig

What to do with broken Maurelii?

sfhellwig
17 years ago

Got this one late last season and had just got it going when the season ended. Indoors it stretched very badly. The petioles where ridiculous looking. And it started leaning. So they other day I figure I'd start hardening it off for the outdoors. Put it on the porch with the leaves hanging off a little to catch the light rain that was falling. I go back out 1/2 hour later and the two newest leaves are snapped. Guess it just wasn't ready. So do I cut them off to make way for the next new leaf? Leave them on until they turn brown? I really like this plant and know it won't pup so I don't want to take a chance on killing it. I KNOW it will come back but what is the quickest way to initiate regrowth?

Comments (9)

• shiollie
    17 years ago

If the leaves are connected in any way, I would leave them untill they turn brown. They will help feed the plant while it is creating a new leaf.

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So now what do I do when all the leaves are dead. I can see where a new one was starting to come out but the plant appears to have stalled. Do I just leave it as the headless plant it is or should I cut it down a little to initiate new growth. I know sometimes you have to be patient and the weather hasn't been agreeing but I am anxious to get this one growing again. Any suggestions.

• shiollie
    17 years ago

If the leaves are all brown then go ahead and cut them off, they are serving no purpose. I know what you mean about stalling, my basjoo did the same thing and with no leaves either so I just gave it a good feed and then put it under the brightest light I could manage. It is now growing again.
    My Maurelii never stopped growing this winter although I do miss the deep coloration, it has really faded. Bring on the SUN!!

• bananafan
    17 years ago

sfhellwig,

I hope your Maurelii is doing better now. My Abyssinian suffered a bad fall when it rolled off into the street from the trunk of my car. I thought it wasn't going to make it. The trunk was a little crashed and the couple of leaves it had looked limpy. That was a couple of months back. Now I've transplanted it to the ground, it's really picking up speed. I took some of its pictures, but I left the camera in the rain a couple of nights ago. The camera is now behaving very strangely I'm not able to take any more pictures and I don't now if I will lose this camera now. In any case, I think your Maurelii will come around when it's time for it to grow again. As in my case, I left the leaves on the plant even though they looked kind of beaten up. Certainly hope yours come around for you soon.

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well now is the waiting game. All leaves gone, I figured I would put it out for a few hours to start hardening off, try to wake it up. I guess it didn't like that as most of the trunk snapped off when I went to bring it in. I have seen amazing regrowth from nearly dead stalks but this is very pale and I am skeptical. My biggest concern is that this won't pup and I liked it so much. Crossing my fingers it is now an outside plant. Hopefully the temps stay up, it gets enough water but not too much, and maybe a little fertilizer will wake everything up a little. Spring's just not treating us so well right now.

• shiollie
    16 years ago

sfhellwig, a maurelli will never pup because it is an ensente, Mine was really pale too but now that it is planted in the sun the colors came back quick. Good luck!!

• sunsetsammy
    16 years ago

What does "Ensente" mean?

• bananaman1
    16 years ago

Your Maurelii's leaves keep breaking due to the fact that they aren't acclimated to the wind since you've been growing it inside. This used to happen to us all the time where I used to work. We'd overwinter our bananas in our greenhouses and they'd put on all this luxurient growth and just look awesome. We'd plant them out in the spring and within an hour all the leaves would be just hanging around the trunk, broken over by the wind. All subsequent leaves become acclimated to the wind as they grow and don't break near as easily. Hope this helps!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals