Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ornata

'Helping' new growth?

ornata
17 years ago

I think we've probably had our last cold snap (and even then it was only just below freezing). My basjoo is still standing, unprotected. Its newest leaf got caught in the cold weather and became somewhat mummified, with the top of the "roll" of unfurled leaf becoming brown and stuck together. Yesterday I cut off this damaged bit and unrolled the leaf as far as possible. Was that necessary, or can new leaves just push their way through when the plant is ready to start growing again? Thanks.

Comments (2)

• miamimax
    17 years ago

Nature will always take care of itself, and the new leaf will push through any deformed/dead leaves that may be fused, usually from the side. You did good in removing it though, as it it will be easier for the new leaf to unfurl now. Ive seen bananas with unopened new leaves that have become fused for whatever reason, with the newest leaves breaking through the side of the trunk far below growth at the top forming what looks like a 'double' top! The original growing 'top' will then die off completely leaving the newest 'top' of the tree.

• ornata
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for clarifying - it's something I wasn't sure about.