Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

Dwarf Cavendish Problem. =(

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

Mine was doing just fine over Winter in its basement dormancy, until I guess I overwatered it about a month ago. The old stalk (from last year) fell over and got "soggy." I'm wondering if it's even alive still. :-\ Should I dig out the root & repot it? I've had it out in the sunlight (or my greenhouse at night since it's getting down to the 40's and 50's still at night). Should I maybe just fertilize it? Please help! I want to get this thing back to life, if there's any way possible to do it.

Thanks - Steve

Comments (14)

• lac1361
    14 years ago

I would unpot it and examine the corm and roots. If the corm is still firm and the roots are alive, then it should begin to produce growth when the soil temps get above 65 or so. If the corm is slimy or mushy, then it's toast.

Steve

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

=( Ok, I think it's slimy/mushy. I'll still check it out though. Thanks for the response!

- Steve

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I dug the corm & roots out when I went home for lunch. The roots look fine. The corm, however, is a tad squishy & kind of white-ish on top (with a very small amount of pink). I'm guessing this is bad news. :-\ I left it out of the pot and put the whole clump of roots & such in my greenhouse for now. Please LMK what you think.

Thanks - Steve

• lac1361
    14 years ago

White and pink are good colors, black and brown with slime are bad colors. Do you see any eyes, offshoots, pups growing off the sides of the corm? If so, what is their appearance. It's hard to tell what's going on with your banana without a picture. But if you think it is rotting, try to get your hands of a copper based fungicide and soak the corm for several hours. Trim the roots back but not all the way to the corm. Plant in completely new potting mix that is damp. Don't water again until new growth appears.

Steve

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, will do...thanks for the info. I'm still keeping my hopes up, for now. =) I'll work on it first thing when I get home later.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I did what you said. I let it dry out in the sun a bit before repotting it also. It didn't dry completely, just about halfway. Anyway, I finally took some pics of it right before I put it in its new home. Let me know what you think, please, since the pics may help a diagnosis. If it is gone, i'd like to reuse the pot. The first pic is a side view & the second pic shows the top of it (from the side).

{{gwi:405548}}

{{gwi:405551}}

- Steve

• lac1361
    14 years ago

Doesn't look good. It might recover but all the signs of corm rot are visually apparent.

Steve

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, that sucks. :-\ Guess I have to deal with it as every gardener does, loosing a plant they love every once in a while. I don't even really eat bananas, but it was a cool plant! I'll leave it in the pot, not watering any for another week or so & if it doesn't show any new growth, i'll just toss it. Thanks for the guidance/help though! =)

- Steve

• lac1361
    14 years ago

At this point, the only thing you can do is completely remove all of the roots with a sharp knife. Begin to "peel" the corm like you would a potato removing the mushy, slick, brown outside. You need to find white (actually similar to a peeled potato). You may have to trim quite a bit off. Be sure to clean out the areas where the largest roots grew out from the corm. All brown should be removed. Soak again in fungicide for 4 hours. Remove and dry out for a week. Pot in moist soil and don't water until you are lucky to see growth. If this doesn't work, you will be left with a hole in the soil.

Steve

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, will do...thanks.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out! I figured it for a goner, but to even have a very slim chance at this working is cool enough. =)

• lac1361
    14 years ago

Good luck. I've got the same problem with one of my Ae Ae and I'm not holding out much hope. They are very problematic. Once the rot starts, it's almost impossible to stop.

Steve

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yea, it's a goner. Already re-used the pot. :-\ When I buy another one, i'm keeping it inside for the Winter! No more basement dormancy for Dwarf Bananas! They are just too sensitive of a plant for that. Thanks anyways y'all for the help.

- Steve

• daddyslittlegirl1800
    13 years ago

I just received my dwarf cavendish last wednesday and it is a little thing but healthy looking. My question is one of the leaves had a black spot on it so I trimmed it off. What was that, and what makes the leaves turn yellow? Think it is alright? Thanks