Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corm center

Posted by jtullous (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 08 at 13:53

I have a lare tropical greenhouse with a few varieties of banana growing in a few spots. Over the years the new shoots have expanded out and now there is a large "center" to the corm where old stalks have been cut away. Can I dig out these centers and put soil in to get the new shoots to move back in - there is no more room for them to expand out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corm center

Don't see why not. That should work OK. Every mat should get some management after it's been in place for several years.

o
RE: Corm center

I've been researching the same sort of thing. Here's what I found.

In your case, seems as if you allowed the pups grow up next to the parent plant. Instead of seperating one, you want to seperate them all, and remove the main corm.

That shouldn't be a problem at all. One way to go about it is to remove it from it's bucket, and give it a good spraying down to remove the dirt. Once the dirt is cleared away you'll have a better idea of what you're working with.

Then just seperate the plants with a sharp knife. One note in this process, if a pup plant is very small, and doesn't have it's own root system yet, you will have to cut into the main corm abit. Cut a peace of the main corm when you cut the small plants out and they'll do fine.

Now for the main corm, once it's out you got options. This is something I read about and will try this spring.

Corm division.

What I read is that the main corm will have "eye's" on it like a canna rhyzome. And that I can divide the corm with each piece having an eye and make even more plants.

EIther, good luck and happy gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here