Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to banana with ??? Pics

Posted by holspen z9b fL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 07 at 16:14

Hi,
Last August we moved into a home with a banana tree. I have no background to help me with this plant.
Please look at the pictures and tell me if you can tell me when these will be ready to pick. The flower head is small now. We first noticed the fruit just after Christmas.

http://www.heart2star.com/Pages/banana.html

Many thanks,
Holly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to banana with ??? Pics

In San Diego, between Memorial Day and 4th of July - approx 6 months after first bananas are visible.

o

So I need to keep waiting . Is there a way to tell looking at them if they are ready to be picked? Does the flower have to be completely gone ??

Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of my banana

o

The only sure way it to watch for color change. However, they also tend to swell and become rounder when close to ripening. This is more pronounced in some varieties, and minimal in others, so it is often hard to judge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here