Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf cavendish resurrected!!

Posted by corydavis22 zone 9b (corydavis22@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 16:30

Hello All! This is my first time posting and I am looking for some help. So... I have a dwarf cavendish in the ground in south east phoenix metro area. As Im sure everyone knows we had a rough winter and when I thought it was gone I woke up to temperatures at 27 in the back yard. In saying that one of my main stalks were uncovered and after a few days looked pretty bad. Soo about a week ago I decided to go out and start pruning everything and with that I purposely cut the stalk in half (with intentions of coming back and cutting it closer to the group). Well I come back a few days later and it looked like it was contracting. I thought well whatever, I am still watering the others around it. But I come out this morning and it looks like a leaf is coming out. Is this normal? Has anyone ever heard of this?? And will it still produce fruit? Thanks in advance I look forward to your response!

Cory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf cavendish resurrected!!

Sure. That is how bananas work, they come up from their rhizome. My place hit 17F and all I had was frost cloth over them so I knew they would die back to the root. Both my Grand Nam and Raja Puri are now a small leaf poking up. Still It gets too cold at my place to likely bother with bananas any more. I might pot them as soon as i get the rest of my place in line.

o

lol yea i know they can do that, but I am saying it regrew from within the same stalk that was half cut off. Does that make sense?

o

yes alot of people do this to keep the size down if they have to bring them indoors for winter. If you do it just right you can get a 2ft plant to flower and produce fruit. just have to be careful not to cut the bud in the stem when it starts to flower.

o

wow thats pretty neat!!!! Thanks mike, I had no idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here