Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally...

Posted by apg4 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 17:21

...I've got bananas. Or rather, plantains....

My grove of Orinocos produced one bunch of fruit with eight or so 'hands' with six to eight fruits per hand. Harvested prior to the first frost in November, the fruits were initially hard as nails, so the bunch was placed in a plastic bag with several apples to aid the ripening. Residing in the greenhouse throughout the winter, all are now yellow and banana-soft.

I've researched recipes for plantains on-line, but most are for standard-sized fruit, not these little fingerlings...and they really don't have a lot of flavor. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally...

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 20:38

You can make Thai banana fritters, it usually uses mazano(apple), lady finger, etc... type banana but i've done it with yellow ripe regular plantains and they turned out just wonderful. The main point is to use firmer type bananas. Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side or on top when it's still warm is also very good.

o

Thanks. Ended up making Bananas Foster. Whole plantains sauteed in butter, brown sugar and a little cinnamon then flambeed with Myers spiced rum and served over ice cream.

o

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 22:00

That sounds mighty good too mmmm mmmmm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here