Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ice cream surprise

Posted by holedigger z10 Long beach (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 07 at 17:44

I was surprised by how quickly my Ice creams ripened. I mean it took 6 months since it flowered, but I lost a hand or 2 because of splitting on the side facing away from view. I had just checked them last weekend and they were all green. Last night I caught a glimpse of the southeast side and they were YELLOW! Tricky boogers. I have another bunch that should be ready next week. I tasted one of the split ones and it did not appear to have been hurt by the frost that wiped out all my pups. Delish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ice cream surprise

holedigger, how do Ice Cream bananas taste in your own personal opinion? I've always wanted to taste one, but they don't sell the fruit here, at least not that I know of.

o
RE: Ice cream surprise

Ice creams are small bananas, about half the size of the supermarket variety.They taste best when completely ripe. The peel should be leathery, completely yellow including the stem. I don't think they would travel well as they tend to bruise easy. I don't like the flavor when the stems are still green or once they start to brown. They are very sweet and dense, they almost have a vanilla taste at the back of the tongue. A very intense sweetness that you don't find in commercial bananas, but not really like vanilla ice cream. I only get to taste them approximately every march for a few weeks. This year we had flooky weather and they ripened before I had a chance to cut them down, which meant 10 hands of ripe fruit at one time. Usually, I cut down the bunch before any signs of yellowing and can have fruit for over a month.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here