Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting banana stems

Posted by jwnesmith 8b/9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 19:35

Well, winter here is almost over or I sure hope it is. I hope we don't have one like this for another 100 years! Once the danger of freeze is over, should I cut the stems back close to the ground or just trim them back to the solid part?
This has been my first wintering of bananas so am still learning. Thanks,
Woods

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting banana stems

If the pseudostems are soft and mushy, you can cut back to the solid part but sometimes, even that part is damaged and eventually, you wind up cutting back all the way. My winter lows are usually in the mid to upper 20's and most of my banana varieties are cold hardy enough to make it through and I simply trim them up and try to expose the top most part of the pseudostem to sunlight. But this year was different and the jury is still out and I might have to whack most of them down to the ground.

Steve

o
RE: cutting banana stems

I am in my third year with only one plant but first year with the 5-6 I added last spring. I left my stems or plants as is for the first time this winter. The advice I was given was to cut them down to stump size or close to the ground once the main threat of cold was over. They will start growing once the warm daytime temps kick in. Just cover and protect during the cold snaps we will continue to have until spring sets in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here