Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is It Alive?

Posted by camanoislandman Washington (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 20:02

I love this Musa Basjoo Banana Palm and planted it last year and it got to about 8' I cut it back to 2' for the winter wrapped it in a towel and plastic wrapped it. I just yesterday unwrapped it to find the towell was soaked with water and now don't know if it's alive or dead. Should I peel back the leaves of the trunk or just leave it alone and watch it?
Thanks
Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is It Alive?

• Posted by jrork 8 Washington (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 20:19

When you lightly squeeze it is it fir or soft? Most of mine are real firm but one is soft till you get right above the corm. John

o

I've never heard of using plastic to wrap a plant like that. I'd be afraid that if the plant couldn't breath, the moisture from the naturaly dieing leaves would be trapped inside and could cause even more damage.

It's hard to say wether or not the plant is dead from the information you provided. But I would think that the odds are good that it is just fine. WIth bananas, the actual plant is underground, and the only thing above ground are the leaves, which includes the stem, which is a leaf also.

So just leave her be and hope for the best. As long as the below ground part of the plant is ok, it will grow when things warm up. Now if you have a big sticky mess around the stem part, I would certainly not hesitate to get rid of the rotten, pulpy, yucky part.

Good luck.

o

• Posted by jrork 8 Washington (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 21:39

I will offer that I have lost mine 3 years in a row till this last winter where I cut them back a bit and then covered them in beauty bark. They all came back though I do have one that is a bit mushy up high. The corm is firm though. Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here