Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie to banana planting

Posted by amyinms 9 coastal MS (amyinms@gmail.com) on
Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 21:37

I was given some banana pups about a dozen or so of them and I no nothing about planting these. My dh really likes them but is of no practical help as to how to plant them lol so for him I really want these to grow. I have no idea what kind they might be or how large the might get. I did search the forum for the answers but I read so many post I feel like my brain is going to fall out lol

I have read they need lots of food to be happy is there a specific kind?

How deep do I plant them?

I live in coastal MS near the beach is there anything I need to look out for (bugs diseases etc)?

How far apart should I plant them?

How much sun do they need?

Thanks so much

Amy in MS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie to banana planting

You don't say how big they are or if they are potted, etc. - so---assuming they are in a 5 gallon pots, plant then so that the soil level, when in the ground, is the same as it was in the pot. Plant them with lots of compost, and use that as a mulch as well. When actively growing, water frequently and fertilize with triple-16.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here