Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danny2693

(Cavendish) Banana Plants

Danny2693
9 years ago

I purchased a banana plant from bananagiant.com and got another one for free. The last couple of days my banana plants have not been doing well at all. All of the leaves have dried up and fallen off of both of my plants. I have been giving them full sun, have them in good soil, give them good enough water on a daily basis. I received both of them as small banana pups. I'll post pictures up so you guys can see what's wrong with them.

Comments (7)

• Danny2693
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I received them in the bag and now they are in the pot with all of the leaves dried up. I don't know why they dried up but I hope that new shoots grow or new leaves emerge soon since it is still spring time.

• Danny2693
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of the pot with the banana plants. The leaves have all fallen off and dried up to a crisp. I was looking forward to growing these banana plants and now they are pratically dead.

• Bamatufa
    9 years ago

Its in a bag and hard to tell by the picture but does not look like a banana to me. Based on your pot pic its probably gone. Soil looks dry. Keep moist and see if it resprouts. In the meantime I would reorder from another supplier while the season is still young and stay away from the company you bought this from. You are in zone 10 ? Is this South Florida ?

• Danny2693
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I received them in the bag last week on Wednesday and I transplanted them to the pot on Friday and by Monday both banana plants were dry with all of the leaves fallen off. I give them water everyday and them in sunlight with little shade but they just keep getting worse. I live in California so it is the perfect place and zone to grow banana plants. Do you know any other websites that sell banana plants. I want to grow the bananas that they sell in regular grocery stores and the website that I purchased these banana plants from was the only place that I could find them.

• islandbreeze
    9 years ago

They were probably grown in a greenhouse and not in full sun, so when you put them outside in full sun without acclimating or giving them time to establish, they'll die back, but sometimes still be alive and re-sprout.

• Bamatufa
    9 years ago

Island breeze is right but depends how they were grown.It looks like they may have separated the pups right before shipping and did not get enough roots for it to survive verses it being a potted , grown plant. An established potted plant from tissue culture , etc. There are many good places on the Web to order plants. Go oline and read up. Good people out there doing good business.Bannanas.org is a good site to get tips and advice.. People from California on this site. They will have a thread on best places to order from. I have ordered from " Going Bananas " in Homestead, Fl. Received a separated pup that did just fine.

• Danny2693
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will there be a chance for them to resprout if I give them daily water and sunlight. I'll check bananas.org for more info about banana plants. Is going-bananas.com a popular banana website because I did check it out but I don't think they sell the banana plant I want which is called "Cavendish". There are two Cavendish types of banana plants that they sell which are called Dwarf Cavendish and Giant Cavendish but I'm not sure if the Giant Cavendish banana plant is the same as the bananas that are sold in local grocery stores.