Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best soil composition for banana growing

Posted by dave98052 Seattle, WA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 0:32

After seeing banana plants growing in various yards around Seattle I would like to grow them also. However, I live in a condo with several balconies and must grow them in containers. I have searched and searched for information on the best type of soil to use, but never see it mentioned. Can anyone knowledgeable in this please give me advice. Thanks for any and all help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best soil composition for banana growing

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 8:47

What kind of banana are you thinking about? I imagine youll need to grow a dwarf or super dwarf.

Honestly youll get so many different opinions that it will make your head spin. I only grow two types right now, musa basjoo and dwarf cavendish. My musa are all in ground and the mother cavendish is in a container of good ole miracle grow. Its been in this for about a year and I plan to re pot soon into Fafard 52.I recently started using Fafard 52 for my citrus, banana, plumeria, because I like how close it is to Al's 5.1.1 mix straight out of the bag. Here in oklahoma the heat is so intense during the summer that I need to have a soil that retains a good amount of water or my plants dry out almost daily but not too much in the winter since I have to bring them in. The thing about banana is during the growing season I have found that you cant water them too much so any good potting soil should be fine. What you have to worry about is what you plan to do this winter.

Fafard 3b, 52, nursery mix are all good bagged soils, John Deere landscapes around Seattle should have one of those or any of their "heavy weight" mixes

Miracle grow with extra added perlite should be just fine, just please dont use the "moisture control".

Al's 5.1.1 would be good if you want to make your own, not sure I would use his gritty mix though

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Fafard

o
RE: Best soil composition for banana growing

I use the miracle grow potting mix all of the time for other things. I followed the nursery suggestion to mix in a lot of Black Kow when I planted my bananas but Thinking back, a miracle grow would have been good to for new bananas.

I will check out the Fafard. Never heard of that before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here