Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slook1958

musa basjoo when is a good time to uncover?

slook
17 years ago

just wondering when is a good time to uncover the plant? After the frost is gone?

Comments (7)

• slook
    Original Author

ok thanks!

• slook
    Original Author

ok thanks!

• slook
    Original Author

ok thanks!

• slook
    Original Author

ok thanks!

• billn119
    17 years ago

I live in northern Ohio and you really dont have to cover them after you cut them down/.I made a mistake and covered mine with lots of straw this year and removed the straw last week when the temps were spring like. What I did was prevent the ground from freezing and by uncovering them they started to come up. 3 of them were about 6 inches high. The weather has changed and its snowing out. I had to cover with burlap and I put a box over each of them. They stop growing when temps get below 43 degrees that is what I heard. So uncover them when its nice and be ready to protect them when temps go below 43 degrees. Or just wait till its May . Still then in the midwest there is still a chance of very low temps at night,,Good luck,,Bill

• tropicalintoronto
    17 years ago

I usually wait till the middle of April, this year I was tempted to to it earlier but when I saw the long range forecast that stop that idea.

Phil

• francis_eric
    17 years ago

Wow can t believe I found this post even posted recently
    I was just about to ask some questions about Musa basjoo, but maybe I will post a new thread for the others questions.
    planning to when I have more time for more questions!

I would rather see if it wouldn't be too much of a hassel, before reading to much about growing musa.

you said you cover yours , and this web site said this

"Have a tropical paradise in your temperate backyard?!...the wonderful bold foliage of this clumping, 12-16' rare, hardy banana is a special treat; in zones 6 & 7,cut back after first frost & mulch.Sun/M(not dry)"

how much do they mean cut back, or would I be better off covering,, and, how much would cutting back affect harvest?

(MOdifying post) I seen on another that Musa basjoo is inedible, but the hardyest is that true.

this is very hardy also. does anyone know about it.
    Musella lasiocarpa

A site said about the two verities they carried,but I think they might have ment more like all bannana tree's that when you plant them in a Pot, they will grow well, but this one is one of the ones that flower inside, and fruit.

I didn't see anything about bannana's on different rootstocks or anything link that can I just grow from seed, I have heard about the kind in the jungle that some seeds , can break teeth.

If I just kept any kind in the house for the winter,would it fruit good out side what are some that grow well in pots?
    I was wondering how much yield a dwarf Musa acuminata would produce(catolog might have a different one)

I was wondering about Musa acuminata ('Dwarf Cavendish')

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County