Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Rotting M. lasiocarpa

Posted by ornata London UK (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 3, 06 at 6:21

Hi. My Musa lasiocarpa baby was surviving the winter pretty well in a frost-free, well-lit location. But now it has a rotten patch on one side of the pseudo-stem. There is still a patch of green on one of its only 2 leaves, but the whole of the pseudostem feels rather soft. Am I going to lose it? Should I cut down all the soft stuff to soil level? If so, will I be able to get the rhizome to sprout again? I really don't want to lose this plant. Any advice would be gratefully received - thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Rotting M. lasiocarpa

When I have taken pups (or I should say, ATTEMPTED to take pups) off of my larger Musellas, I almost always slice part of the base of the corm off. I rarely get roots off. If there is any base left at all, I will usually go ahead and try to root the mutilated offset.

What I have found is, even after I think they have declined to the point of utter and absolute death, maybe 80% of the time, they will start regrowing and eventually right themselves, healing the damage I made when I cut them off.

The trick, I think, is to keep them on the dry side. I would try to remove any obviously rotted tissue, and perhaps dust with a fungicide like Captan, and keep hoping.

o

Thank you for the advice - I think I made the mistake of giving it a good watering after having kept it dry for most of the winter. I've cut it down to the base; it has a tiny pup which I hope will develop. Do you think placing it on a heat source will encourage it to sprout?

o

• Posted by bihai z8B FL (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 12:02

That sounds like a reasonable idea. Ours start regaining leaves (from being frosted) in about the last week of Feb/1st week of March when it gets into the mainly 70's during the days, but real new growth doesn't start til its much warmer

o

hello can anyone help?...i have three Musa Lasiocarpa in 15ltr pots in the greenhouse ,i would like to plant them out in my subtropical garden ,I'm tight for space and the only place available is semi shaded and damp but free draining....some advice would be appreciated thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here