Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snc299

Record low 23 degrees this morning

snc299
17 years ago

I am gald I dug may plants/trees up, all 48 of them. Wasn't that bad, just slipped a trash bag in a planter, dug up the plant/tree and placed them in the trash bag, took the trash bag out and repeated it 47 more times. I will replant them tuesday....Any help would be appreciated....LOL...There was no way I could have protected that many plants, with some of them approaching 8-10 ft.

Everything else probably got killed, even though I tryed my best to cover everything up.

Happy Easter.....David/NC

Comments (4)

• bananafan
    17 years ago

Good job! I'm glad you saved all of them. It will take a long time to collect so many of them again. The weather this year is really tricky. For us here, it was one day lows in the 60's and last night it was in the 40's. Some of my bananas were badly beaten up when it went down to the mid 30's. For a while, the leaves on my bananas looked so dry and ugly. It took about a month for the new leaves to emerge again and I hope they stay that way. I sure hope you will not get any more lows and you won't have to dig all of them out again. Were you always able to plant them in the ground over winter?

• snc299
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I overwintered them in my storage building, I had just replanted them two weeks back. I checked the 10 day forecast, and I thought the all clear had come, so I planted them. We had a low this morning of 28, and a forecast low for tonight of 32. I will replant them on tuesday. Record low temps for these dates.

I gave my neighbor(my sorry neighbor...LOL)a large banana tree, helped him plant it, and told him he should dig it up or at least wrap it good. He did nothing, and it froze. He won't get another one...LOL...

• bananafan
    17 years ago

Too bad your neighbor's large banana tree died, otherwise he might get some fruit this summer? Living here in FL makes me take things for granted sometimes. I always assume my bananas will do ok here and so far they have done well, except during one cold spell, one plant died back, but then the pup poped up when weather got warmer. It would be tough if I have to move them into the storage over winter.

I've just started growing them two years ago (none of them has flowered yet, except one ornamental one). Now I have 18 different varieties. Most of them are in the ground, except some super dwarf ones. I read somewhere that it's hard to get fruit from them. So, how many varieties do you have now and which of them are more cold hardy where you are?

• snc299
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is only my second year with bananas, the only one I know that will survive in the ground here is the Basjoo. They all did great last summer, hoping for fruit this summer. I will leave a few in the ground this fall and see which comes back next year.

I only have just a few varieties so far....They are..

Basjoo
    Golden Lotus
    Apple
    Ice Cream
    Ele Ele
    Double Mahoi
    Sabo
    Bordelon
    Yunnan
    Orinoco

I replanted ALL of them yesterday, hoping the weather will not throw a curve again....The lowest temps down the road calls for a couple of nights down to 43, well below normal.

Take care, hope yours does great this summer.