Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chippy_gw

How to tell if Banana plants are done with?? Help please...

chippy
17 years ago

Hi All,

I uncovered my banana plants this morning. 3 orinocos that were stuffed with leaves with cage wire seem to be done with. :-(

I removed all the leaves around them all, 2 of the 3 are completely mush all the way to the ground. 1 of them has a decently strong trunk at the bottom but I don't see any green when I cut the mush down to the ground.

Do any of these have any hope? Temps are starting to rise so should I wait awhile to see what happens? Or just order new ones?

This stinks, I was optimistic they would make it through.... :-(

Also have a basjoo that I cut to the ground and covered with mulch. I removed the mulch this morning. How long to wait before knowing its good or not?

Thanks all for any suggestions!

-Chip

P.S. anyone know where I can order new banana plants that have like 2 foot of trunk already? Dont seem to find any on ebay.

Comments (7)

• funinthesunincl
    17 years ago

Don't give up on them!!! I am in zone 9...it's been warm here for a while...I thought I had a couple of hopeless cases when I checked mine just last weekend. They looked REAL BAD! As of this morning, 3 new pups had sprouted from what I thought were goners!!!!

Good Luck...

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

When there is a hole in the ground, or no sign of life for 24 months, it is dead. Even if the plant died, the outer ring will often still have viable pups. See it more than once. I have pups coming up from corms which have fruited, been cut down, and have shown no sign of still being there for 12 months or more.

• diana55
    17 years ago

My neighbours are like that every year. Mush!!! I can't believe how they come back!!! I wouldn't give up on them. You will be surprized!!! If you want , you can buy some more. Just in case, but I would give them time!!! Diana55

• copanolady
    17 years ago

I have the same situation. Mush and when I pulled up on a fairly thick looking stalk it came up in my hands. Ditto with the other 3 I had. I'm so disappointed. I know you all are being encouraging and maybe some pups might show up but when will I know? My main question is:
    How far from the center stalk (which is now a hole) will the pups show up if they are still viable? A couple of inches? Maybe six or eight inches from the hole? These were the first bananas I tried and I was so happy with their growth last year and really thought they would survive.

• chippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No more waiting for me, mine are done! :-/
    The only 1 I left was the basjoo which doesn't look too good as well.
    I trashed all my orinocos. When I dug them up the roots were mushy and black. Didn't want to wait.
    I have Orinoco,Saba and Goldfinger on order. I will try to remove them in the fall and save them indoors.

-Chip

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

Chip, the basjoo should be OK provided it was at least two season's old. Once they get some size, they're hard to kill! I left mine totally uncovered last winter. I have about 10 pups coming up now, but it's in a very protected location in full sun and the mat is about 5 seasons old.

• chippy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dave, you are correct!!
    Though my Orinocos are done with, I left my Basjoo in. To my surprise, I see 2 little pups that are pushing up on the Basjoo! Couldn't believe it.

ironic story..... I ordered 4 banana plants from a site last week to replace my Orinocos.
    Last night I go to my wifes Aunts house and we are talking about bananas.
    Shes like, "Oh I got 2 in the basement that I don't want". I was like huh? How many times do I go over someones house and ask me if I want banana plants? loll
    Point of the story is that if I would have waited to order the new ones, I could have ordered 2 less and save $$.
    No Ill have 6 of them and haven't a clue where to put them! lol
    And the ones she gave were stored from last winter and are about 5ft big!! Couldn't believe it!
    Strange luck I have!

-Chip