Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sk8vonfixess

Whats the fastest musa for fruit?

sk8vonfixess
10 years ago

What musa banana grows up and produces in the least amount of time?

It says it takes 2 years for a dwarf cavendish >_<.>So yea what banana can flower and fruit in the least amount of time?

Comments (13)

• sk8vonfixess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way the fastest edible banana*

• jardinerowa
    10 years ago

Hello,

It depends on where you live, but if you live in an area that doesn't freeze, probably Dwarf Orinoco would be good. Musa Velutina would fruit very fast even in a container and while the fruit is pink and edible, it does have seeds. The dwarf Orinoco can be used as a plantain or dessert banana.

Z

• sk8vonfixess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in z5 but im gonna bring in the bananas under a light indoors oce night temps get below 50 this fall.

So i guess hardiness isnt a issue. Im just wondering the best edible banana that grows super fast :)

• soaht
    10 years ago

I wouldn't know of taste as it's my first time growing bananas. I'm currently growing dwarf namwah and raja prui. Some I heard great reviews on are raja puri, dwarf namwah ,dwarf Brazilian, dwarf Jamaican/Cuban red.

• jardinerowa
    10 years ago

I agree Dwarf Namwah or Namwah (what most people online sell as "ice cream"), Dwarf Brazilian, and Raja Puri are great options.
    The problem with reds (dwarf red/jamaican) is they aren't cold tolerant at all and they take forever to get ripe fruit.

• sk8vonfixess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright. Well just from experience id like to know whats the fastest banana. Cold hardiness isnt an issue because ill be growing it indoors after the summer. I have a dwarf cavendish but im afraid it wont be fruiting by this fall..

Do you guys think there is a banana that can flower/fruit by the end of the fall?

• soaht
    10 years ago

Well it seems banana takes anywhere from 1.5 -maybe even 3 years for the first bananas to bear fruit. This also depends on how big your banana plant that you got is. Small tissue culture plants takes longer, maybe a year to establish it self then another year or two to blossom and fruit. But if your plant was a larger pup/corm that you got, then the following spring if it's early, but more likely June(summer) and have fruit ready by fall-winter. This also depend how you take care of it too ie fertilizer,watering, how many pups you let grow per season, etc. Ripening time from flower to fruit is any where from 2-6+ months depend what kind of banana you get. The fasted time from flower to ripen fruit that I heard of is musa veinte cohol(only 2 months for fruit ripening from first flower to ready fruits). This variety isn't a dwarf though 12'-15'. Fruits are a dessert type with small little plump finger size banana that is sweet. Realistically for fruit next season get the biggest plant you can afford. Check out this site (Bananas.org) and also ask your question there, that 's the place banana enthusiast are congregating at for anything about nananers.

Here is a link that might be useful: veinte cohol

• sk8vonfixess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright thanks. I guess i just gotta let it take its time

• apg4
    10 years ago

My Orinoco set fruit last fall, but it sure isn't a dwarf. A scrawny, 3' potted plant, it was 'regifted' several times, and was planted it in the ground in June of 2011. Grew to 18'.... Fenced it off and piled on 3' of leaves and pine needles. Last year, I had a grove with the tallest at 22' and first noticed one stem fruiting in late August. The unripe bunch was harvested in mid-November, just ahead of a killing frost. Took several months to ripen up....

• sk8vonfixess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well damn thats a story lol

• sk8vonfixess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thats a huge banana good luck with it. I never realized the plan to overwintering

• rednofl
    10 years ago

Hua Moa fruited first year from a TC plant, big surprise in November . It only pups 2-3 plants a year and I have got fruit every year. Seems to put out the fewest leaves before fruiting. Not the sweetest banana but the most consistent and it can be used like a plantain or a dessert depending on when you use it. I have pulled out my Jamaican Red and will replace it with a Calif Gold and a Pineapple.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler