Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 8b Strategy

Posted by Randy31513 Georgia 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 11:39

Trying to get my head around the best approach for an in ground planting of an ice cream banana in at the top of zone 8b.

If I order now from say Wellspring Gardens or Florida Hill Nursery I will be starting with a small plant in April.

The first frost date is just after November 1st. Wild guess. How big would it be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 8b Strategy

The large dead stalk in the center is Ice Cream. Although established it did not come up until July last year and managed to get about 10 feet before the first freeze. It is cut off now around 6 feet high. I was not sure if it was still alive. I have several in ground bananas and now beginning to believe the trick is ground preparation. Dig a shallow hole and fill it full of good mulch,water and fertilize.In the background are my Basjoos.They hardly missed a beat this winter and kept growing.

o

Bamatufa, thanks for the reply. That helps a lot. I was thinking about growing it in a pot the first year then into the ground next year. I have grown pineapple in the ground, using lights and cover during the winter but these banana plants are so huge, I will have to rethink how to get a banana to fruit.

o

Your zone and location I would put in ground. You will get pups from it by year end you can pot and keep over winter.

o

That sounds good to me. I will attempt to save what is in the ground but as you said the pups should get me going faster next year.

Thanks for the help.

o

Your zone and location I would put in ground. You will get pups from it by year end you can pot and keep over winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here