Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slfairless

Spring planting time?

slfairless
16 years ago

Hi all,

I pulled up all my bananas and stored them inside the garage for the winter. Now I've got a case of spring fever and I'm starting to get anxious to put these babies back in the ground. What is considered to be a safe time to plant bananas up here in MI? Will a frost kill them or is it just below freezing temps that I need to worry about?

Thanks,

SF

Comments (5)

• wxman81
    16 years ago

I have two basjoo's coming this week and I plan on putting them in the ground immediately. Coldest we'd get after this point which would be record cold would be upper 20s. With it hitting into the 70s this week, the ground should warm dramatically and any given cold night I would just cover them. It would be more beneficial I think to get them in the ground as early as possible so they can reap the benefits from the strong April sun.

• daryljurassic
    16 years ago

I certainly have spring fever as well. Most of
    my musa basjoos have been in the ground for several years now. I uncovered them about two weeks ago and due to another cold spell, had to cover them back up - no big deal, just covered them with pine needles. I will be uncovering them again this Wed, hopefully for good, but who knows... I wait until the hard frosts are over before I "re-plant" my other bananas - cavendish, etc. They have migrated from the basement sometime ago, to upstairs by the sliding glass door so they can easily go outside on nicer days. Everything is looking good - green(again) and some pups popping up. My advice in zone 5 is to do the same...Keep an eye on the 15 day forecast. Patients...

• slfairless
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yea you're prolly right - better safe than sorry.

I cracked into my stash today to pull out a few of the hardier patio plants and I'm sad to say that I lost most of the bananas, a few plumeria, and three brugs. Looks like I'll be in the market for a few trades :(

• wxman81
    16 years ago

I cracked into my stash today to pull out a few of the hardier patio plants and I'm sad to say that I lost most of the bananas, a few plumeria, and three brugs. Looks like I'll be in the market for a few trades :(

That's why when my basjoo's are planted, they are staying in the ground for good. I think theres a bigger risk trying to store them than protect them outside undisturbed. I'm looking to eventually have 40-60 basjoo's around my property in strategic locations.

• nightrider767
    16 years ago

Aackk!!!! So sorry to hear that slfairless. WHat a shame to see plants die like that.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you to make sure they are actually dead before you chunk them.

Yesterday I was so sure that one of my Bouganvillia had died, that I tugged out of the ground perfectly good plant.

Aackk!!!!