Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
va_canuck

Any chance I might get actual bananas this year

va_canuck
14 years ago

I have a Cavendish banana that I overwintered in the ground inside a greenhouse enclosure. The pseudostem is almost 7 feet tall. Given it's already begun rapid leaf production this spring, is there any chance it will manage to give fruit before winter returns?

From what I have seen here bananas aren't picky with fertilizer and I can really throw on whatever and they'll grow. I wanna get some actual bananas!

Comments (5)

• lac1361
    14 years ago

Cavendish grows 17 to 20 feet. Dwarf Cavendish grows 6 feet or so. If you have the dwarf variety, you'll get fruit. Just before flowering, the size of the leaves change. You will get a leaf approximately 3/4 the size of the last leaf (which, incidentally, should be the largest one produced). Then comes a half leaf, then a flag leaf, then the flower. The 3/4 leaf is hard to pick out but once the half leaf shows up, it's obvious what's about to happen.

Steve

• va_canuck
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have a flower coming!!!!!

As for size, the leaves now reach to about 12-13 feet tall. I got leaves steadily getting larger, then a 3/4 size leaf, then a teensie little leaf which while unravelling reveals a twisty looking thing which is definitely not another leaf. Here comes the flower!!

I do however worry that the fruit will not mature before winter comes and the maturing may be so slow that everything will succumb to rotting. I build a greenhouse structure over the thing in the winter so it won't freeze, and will get a fair amount of light and heat especially up until December, but if this winter is anything like last my greenhouse will have steady night temps in the 38-45 range for January and February (days 60-70), which won't kill it outright but I'm afraid it will stall out completely.

Oh well.... I still got some freakin' flowering. If only I can get it to flower in June instead of September.

• drmom21
    13 years ago

Congratulations on the flower! I always get excited when all of my bananas flower. I have 10 different varieties in my yard but much to my dismay they burn in the winter. (I am in N florida) AS to the fruiting issue - bananas require 15 months of active growth to reach the flowering/fruiting stage. I too have the same problem - I no sooner get the flowers and the seasons change and the colder weather hits us. Good luck.

• barbados
    13 years ago

Living where I do (Caribbean isl. of Barbados) we have no problem with cold winter conditions.

Even so I've been growing banana plants in my back yard now for a little over a year
    but no fruit yet.

I read somewhere that bananas bring forth 44 leaves, and then the fruit.
    To that end, I've numbered the first few leaves of a few pups I now have growing out from the base of now-adult trees
    (who will hopefully soon be doing something!).
    Ever the mad scientist, I'd like to keep on numbering, as long as I can reach that high up -LOL!
    Black marking pen numerals seems to stay put thru all kinds of weather,down here.

• va_canuck
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a pic - only 9 days after the flower began to appear!

Here is a link that might be useful: Banana - 9 days after the flower